Search is on for thief who uses stun gun
LAKE FOREST, Ill. (WLS) -- A search is ongoing in the north suburbs for a man who threatens women with a stun gun and takes their jewelry.
Lake Forest and Highland Park police are working together on this investigation. The first incident happened in a Lake Forest parking lot.
There hasn't been an incident since November 25, but police are still asking women in the area to be extra careful.
Lake Forest Police say the incident happened November 20, late in the afternoon. A woman in her mid-50s was walking out of a Starbucks on South Waukegan Road. As she got in her car a man approached her. He was armed with both a handgun and a stun gun. He demanded her diamond ring then ran off.
The man was wearing a mask, but Lake Forest police have released A sketch of a man someone had seen in the area the same day who matches the description of the person they're looking for.
Five days later, in Highland Park, a similar incident happened at a strip mall on Elm Place. A man confronted a woman as she was getting into her car. He threatened to use his stun gun on her and demanded her rings. After she gave them to him, he ran off.
"It's shocking, alarming. I live right down the street and I do my shopping around here, Walgreens, Sunset. Just to hear there are robberies all of a sudden, it's terrible," said Jessica Goldsmith.
The victim worked with highland park police to come up with a sketch of the suspect.
Residents in the area ABC7 spoke with say they aren't scared to shop in the area but are now taking extra precautions.
Both incidents happened around 4 p.m., so police are asking women to be especially careful around that time.
Anyone with information should contact Lake Forest or Highland Park police.
local, dan ponce
- Teenager sexually assaulted in Logan Square 21 min ago
- Wrong-way driver collides with semi on Skyway 13 min ago
- Mayor to expand repaving initiative for potholes
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Pfleger wants 'American' billboard with assault weapon removed 5 min ago
- Girl, 3, ID'd after fatal Rogers Park mattress fire
- Tinley Park HS teacher resigns after sex assault charges
- Man shot to death in Hammond
- Man charged with murder for South Side bar shooting
- Chicago-Portland flight allegedly disrupted by man who wanted 4...
- Sign of Spring: Original Rainbow Cone now open
- NJ judge rules moms don't have to let dads in delivery room
- Photos: 'Modern Family' house on market for $2.35M
- abcnews: Amazon Accused of Cheating on Free Shipping