Burris tosses hat into ring for Senate
Former Illinois Attorney General Roland Burris has expressed interest in filling the open Senate seat.
Burris appeared Saturday with several supporters who are calling on Lt. Gov. Pat Quinn and Illinois Democratic leaders to appoint him to the U.S. Senate.
"They said, 'Roland, we are behind you. Roland we want this to happen, and we hope you will accept our request to do this.' Well, to the media and all the people across Chicagoland and throughout the state of Illinois, I am happy to be able to answer that call," Burris said. "With my knowledge and experience of Illinois and the U.S. Senate -- I know a third of the senators currently serving -- I would go in there hitting the ground running with an agenda for Illinois and an agenda the President-elect wants to carry out across America."
The former attorney general also said if he's selected, his knowledge and experience of Illinois and the Senate will allow him to hit the ground running.
- 'Electric Daisy Carnival' keeping area residents up all night
- Chicago honors military in Memorial Day Parade
- 17-year-old boy killed in Austin shooting
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 50 min ago
- Friends, family of murder victim pray to end the violence 38 min ago
- Pets from Oklahoma shelter headed to Chicago for adoption
- Memorial Day Road Race benefits military families
- Step back in time at 'Wild West Town' in McHenry County 44 min ago
- Man charged for arson, burglary of $1.5 million boat
- FEMA teams look for flood damage on South Side
- Jackson, Rainbow PUSH Coalition criticize school closings
- Notre Dame QB Golson no longer enrolled at school 34 min ago
- Missouri freight train crash injures at least 7, collapses...
- abcnews: Drivers Can't Face Fears, Get Lift Across...
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
50 min ago
- Step back in time at 'Wild West Town' in...
44 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos