Hudson murder suspect in court
CHICAGO (WLS) -- The estranged brother-in-law of Oscar-winning actress Jennifer Hudson appeared in court Tuesday.
William Balfour, 27, is charged with three counts of first-degree murder in the deaths of Hudson's mother, Darnell Donerson, 57; brother, Jason Hudson, 29; and 7-year-old nephew, Julian King. All three were shot to death in late October.
Police say the killings were related to a domestic dispute between Balfour and his estranged wife, Julia, who is Jennifer Hudson's sister.
Balfour is also facing home invasion charges and is being held without bond.
Prosecutors contend that Balfour killed the family members in a jealous rage because he thought Julia Hudson had a new boyfriend.
Balfour's defense attorney, however, says there's no evidence linking his client to the shootings.
Today's court appearance was for prosecutors to announce they've filed an indictment in the case.
At the brief hearing, defense attorney Joshua Kutnick asked the judge if Balfour can be moved from a state prison to Cook County to make communicating with his client easier.
The judge put off ruling on that decision until a Jan. 20 court hearing.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Grand Blue Line stop reopened after water main break
- Suburban police to begin carrying Narcan
- Stolen passports probed in Malaysian plane mystery
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Gary shooting: 1 dead, at least 2 others injured
- H.S. wrestling coach accused of sex with student
- GOP candidates for IL treasurer square off in forum
- Mt. Prospect woman accuses neighbor of hate crime
- Chicago pothole 'strike teams,' formed by CDOT crews
- Sarah Kustok defends father at murder trial
- Spring-like day followed by snow
- Larkin High School poms squad honored
- Chicago glows green ahead of St. Patrick's Day
- abcnews: Happy Couples Share 6 Common Habits