Hudson murder suspect in court
CHICAGO (WLS) -- The estranged brother-in-law of Oscar-winning actress Jennifer Hudson appeared in court Tuesday.
William Balfour, 27, is charged with three counts of first-degree murder in the deaths of Hudson's mother, Darnell Donerson, 57; brother, Jason Hudson, 29; and 7-year-old nephew, Julian King. All three were shot to death in late October.
Police say the killings were related to a domestic dispute between Balfour and his estranged wife, Julia, who is Jennifer Hudson's sister.
Balfour is also facing home invasion charges and is being held without bond.
Prosecutors contend that Balfour killed the family members in a jealous rage because he thought Julia Hudson had a new boyfriend.
Balfour's defense attorney, however, says there's no evidence linking his client to the shootings.
Today's court appearance was for prosecutors to announce they've filed an indictment in the case.
At the brief hearing, defense attorney Joshua Kutnick asked the judge if Balfour can be moved from a state prison to Cook County to make communicating with his client easier.
The judge put off ruling on that decision until a Jan. 20 court hearing.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Woman narrowly escapes grocery store crash
- Officials probe potential threat on Delta flight
- I-Team: Kevin Trudeau, an unlikely pauper
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Woman rescued from Lake Michigan near Jackson
- Chicago woman wins $14M verdict in Yasmin case
- CTA Orange Line track work underway this weekend
- Boy who drowned in Crystal Lake pond ID'd
- CPD bike patrols to swarm high-crime areas
- Man charged in CTA Yellow Line attack on senior citizen
- Man accused of Naperville 'Simpsons' graffiti
- Pilsen parishes join together for Good Friday procession
- Photos: Iran killer spared just before hanging
- abcnews: Twins Attack Carjacker With Fists, Toy Snake