Charges filed in Joliet murder
January 8, 2009 (JOLIET, Ill.) (WLS) -- The body of a woman found near a road in Joliet has been identified as 21-year-old Brittany Brooks. Her body was found late Wednesday in a public park.
Brittany Brooks lived in Joliet, as did her boyfriend, 23-year-old Jeramy Green. Police say he is responsible for the murder. He was arrested early Thursday morning and charged Thursday afternoon.
The body of the young woman was discovered around 11 p.m. Wednesday night near West Park, which is close to the border of Joliet and Rockdale. She had extensive knife wounds to her neck, arms and hands. Brooks was pronounced dead at the scene.
Joliet Police detectives learned that back in 2006 Brooks had reported being a victim of domestic battery. Her boyfriend, Green, had been charged in that case. In 2007, brooks filed an order of protection against Green. Joliet Police began looking for him immediately, and just before 3 a.m., they pulled him over on Washington Street near the police station.
"Mr. Green did agree to meet with detectives. When he met with detectives, the detectives did observe that he was covered with blood. After being questioned by the detectives, Mr. Green has admitted his involvement in the killing of his girlfriend, Brittany Brooks," said Chief Fred Hayes, Joliet Police Department
Police say Green and Brooks had been together off and on since 2005.
Brooks' family is trying to figure out how anyone could have done this.
"We got the call early this morning, and it was just a shock for us, like I said, because she was always a good kid," said Valerie Brooks, victim's aunt.
Brooks was a graduate of Joliet West High School. Her family says she had plans to join the Air Force.
"She was a beautiful person and it's a loss for us," said Brooks.
The Will County coroner performed the autopsy Thursday morning.
Jeremy Green is facing first degree murder charges. If convicted, the standard sentence for such a crime in Will County is 20 to 60 years behind bars.
local, dan ponce
- Busiest holiday travel days at O'Hare, Midway
- Bank robber tied to Evanston tobacco shop murders
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Freezing rain north, west of Chicago
- Illini grad Mike Hopkins prepares for spacewalk outside ISS 11 min ago
- Employees, customers prepare for Dominick's final days 21 min ago
- Midlothian's The Tint Shop burglarized 3 times in 1 night
- Gov. Quinn looks back on 2013 32 min ago
- New recreation center to serve South Side neighborhoods
- Me You & Her raises money for Chicago food banks
- 'I-55 Bandit' pleads guilty to robbery charge
- Weekender Report by Roz Varon
- abcnews: Dramatic Helicopter Rescue Caught on Tape
- Ahmad's co-defendant pleads guilty in...
4 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos