Businesses donate beer, pizza to troops
January 23, 2009 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Our fighting men and women in Iraq can expect a special treat from the Chicago area in the near future.
Two local businesses are packing up plenty of beer and pizza and shipping it to the troops in the Middle East.
'Pizzas 4 Patriots' is a non-profit organization with the mission of making a positive difference in the lives of our men and women - those patriots presently serving and our wounded veterans. It is their goal to provide our armed forces with gifts from home. The troops will be able to enjoy super bowl 43 drinking a beer and eating some Chicago pizzas.
Schlitz and local distributor Luis Glunz Beer, Inc. are sending a toast to our troops in Iraq for super bowl 43. Employees of the Lincolnwood distributor gathered in the warehouse to sign well wishes to our service men and women on a large banner and load up three pallets of Schlitz classic 1960's formula for delivery to bases in Iraq and Afghanistan.
Schlitz has a long history of providing beer to our troops dating back to the 1800's and also during World War II. Glunz is sending over 6,000 bottles of beer.
What would a beer be without a Lou Malnati's pizza. Elk Grove Village resident and retired United States Air Force Master Sgt. Mark Evans, founder of 'Pizzas 4 Patriots' worked closely with General Petreaus to coordinate Lou Malnati's pizzas and for the first time Schlitz beer to bases in Iraq for the big game . The Malnati family has prepared over 2,000 pizzas to be delivered to the troops.
Even the Bears including players - punter Brad Maynard and running back Adrian Peterson - got involved packing the pizzas and loading them on to the trucks. DHL will be shipping the pizzas to Iraq.
This is the second time that 'Pizzas 4 Patriots' is sending pizzas to Iraq.
local, theresa gutierrez
- CTA Red Line shooting injures man at Argyle
- Cragin on alert after girl beaten, sexually assaulted 8 min ago
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Naperville fire kills 2, injures 3 6 min ago
- Mega Millions drawing leads to $1M ticket in Chicago 24 min ago
- Boy, 16, critically wounded in Little Village shooting
- Report: CPS headquarters could move 22 min ago
- ADM to move headquarters to Chicago 37 min ago
- 30 dogs removed from North Chicago apartment
- 1-month anniversary of Midwest tornadoes outbreak
- Woman, 30, dead in Chicago River fall ID'd
- Submit Your Holiday Lights Photos/Video to ABC7
- abcnews: Pope's Christmas Message: Serve The Poor
- 7 in :77
- Cragin on alert after girl beaten, sexually...
8 min ago