Daley pleased with top pick for Cubs owner
January 24, 2009 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Mayor Daley says he is excited that the likely new owners of the Chicago Cubs are local residents who apparently care deeply about the city and the team.
The mayor also stressed that while the new owners plan to renovate Wrigley Field, he's confident they won't change the historical aspects of the famed ballpark.
A $900-million bid by 43-year-old Tom Ricketts and other family members is expected to be approved.
"They made a huge bid. It helped the Tribune. It helped a lot of employees over there, and that is really important for the salvation of that company. And so, what I've heard about them, and I'll be meeting them shortly, they're great Chicagoans. They have great pride in the city. Of course, they've been Cubs fans for many, many years, I bet generations. And it's exciting to have local owners," Daley said.
Built in 1914, Wrigley Field is the second-oldest big league ballpark. Boston's Fenway Park is two years older.
ricketts family, local
- McHenry, Lake counties prepare for freezing rain 54 min ago
- NW Side residents hold meeting on sex assault
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 55 min ago
- Glen Ellyn student accused of assaulting school staff member
- Rev. Al Sharpton holds meeting on Chicago gun violence
- Carol Stream Culver's raises money for child with leukemia 58 min ago
- Man thought to be Gacy victim reunited with family
- Bogus Target charges may not appear for months
- Woman charged after 30 dogs removed from home
- Maine West coach hazing trial put on hold until January
- 2 men killed within blocks of each other in South Shore
- No CO detectors in Skokie apartments where people sickened
- abcnews: Reddit Secret Santa User is Bill Gates
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
55 min ago
- McHenry, Lake counties prepare for freezing...
54 min ago