Mom, infant found murdered in town home
January 25, 2009 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Police are looking for a suspect in the double murder of a woman and her baby daughter. According to the Chicago Tribune, the woman is the mother of ex-Bulls player Eddy Curry's young son.
The mother and infant girl were found shot to death inside a town home on the near South Side. The case is being investigated as a double murder. The town home is near 15th and Clark Street.
Just before 6 p.m. Saturday evening, a woman entered the town home to find her 24-year-old daughter and 9-month-old granddaughter shot to death inside.
The Cook County Medical Examiner identified the victims as Nova Henry, 24, and her 9-month-old daughter Ava Henry.
Relatives rushed to the scene arriving almost as quickly as police. In fact, so many came to the scene, that police brought in a C.T.A. bus to keep them warm while they gathered information.
Also, inside the home was a 3-year-old boy. He was unharmed. Police are not offering a theory as to why the little boy was spared.
Investigators tell ABC7 News they don't think it was a random attack. And they may already know who they're looking for.
"Right now, we're talking to witnesses, family members, to try to get as much information as possible to ascertain and to come up with a composite or a vehicle description. But it appears that -- we believe that this is a known acquaintance," said police News Affairs Director Monique Bond.
This double murder took place in Chicago's first police district, which is also home to mayor Richard Daley and the Chicago's police superintendent. So,there was an intense police response. Dozens of officers plus forensics experts and command staff rushed to the scene.
It is assumed that the 3-year-old boy who was not injured is with relatives, but that has not been confirmed. It is unclear whether or not that 3-year-old boy has been able to provide police with any information about what transpired inside that town home. But again, investigators say they believe that the attacker was somebody who knew the woman and daughter who were killed.
Eddy Curry now plays for the New York Knicks. He was in Philadelphia Saturday for a game. The Tribune reports that he is distraught and contemplating a trip to Chicago.
Curry has maintained he is not the father of the baby Ava Henry. Court records show Nova Henry filed two separate petitions to establish parentage.
Curry is a married father of four. In July 2007, he and his family were robbed at gunpoint in his Burr Ridge home. Several masked men stole cash and jewelry after restraining Curry and family members with duct tape.
- Firefight causes flooding in Irving Park homes
- Officer hit in face by bullet fragment released
- Malaysia Airlines plane, Flight MH370, still missing
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines plane MH370 missing
- Man struck by cars in Lincolnwood dies, police say 18 min ago
- Semi crash spills plastic beads, slows Tri-State
- Metra train strikes pedestrian in New Lenox 2 min ago
- Chicago typhoon relief shipments reach the Philippines 26 min ago
- Person killed by Amtrak from Chicago to STL
- Chicago electric bills to rise; city claims could've been worse
- $7 million shoplifting suspects to remain jailed
- Teen accused in Chicago livery driver shooting death
- Photos: Plane entangles in skydiver parachute