Rep Kirk: Governor has 'gone insane'
January 25, 2009 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Governor Rod Blagojevich could be removed from office by the end of the week.
Some members of the Illinois General Assembly now say the governor's decision not to present a defense will likely speed up the impeachment trial that begins Monday.
The governor's recent call for changes to the rules for the proceedings and his media tour have some state lawmakers wondering about his motives.
"He's gone insane. He has decided that he's only got a couple of days left in office and he's gonna go out in a blaze of misguided glory," said Republican Rep. Mark Kirk of Chicago's north suburbs.
" I think we'll probably be done by Thursday. I think the governor will be impeached by Thursday, probably the latest Friday," said Democratic state Rep. Jack Franks of Woodstock.
Gov. Rod Blagojevich left for New York Sunday, where he will take his media blitz nationwide. The governor has hired a public relations firm to help coordinate his media interviews. That firm has also been retained by former Bolingbrook police officer Drew Peterson, who has been in the public eye since his fourth wife disappeared over a year ago.
Blagojevich is set to appear live on ABC's Good Morning America and The View Monday, as well as on CNN's Larry King Live.
In a taped interview with NBC Sunday, the governor said he has drawn comfort from thinking about civil rights leaders such as Nelson Mandela and Martin Luther King. He said such thoughts "put some perspective" on his legal troubles.
Viewers can catch the governor's interviews on Good Morning America starting at 7 a.m. Monday and on The View at 10 a.m. Both air on ABC7 Chicago.
- Body found in sewer ID'd as missing woman 5 min ago
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- Yelp Reviews: Real or Fake?
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Scoozi restaurant closing in River North
- Kennedy reversible lanes closed at times this weekend 48 min ago
- Cardinal George to undergo more chemotherapy
- CFD vehicle involved in South Side crash
- Crime scene expert testifies for Kustok defense
- Woman stabbed after leaving Wicker Park nightclub
- Man turns self in after baby dies in crash
- Teen struck, killed by Metra train
- Set clocks ahead for daylight saving time
- abcnews: Family Sickened By Meat Laced with LSD 54 min ago