Canine cops help police
January 26, 2009 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- When we think of police canine units, the breed that most commonly comes to mind is the German shepherd.
But rookie canines on the job now are anything but ordinary.
The two newest members of the Cook County Sheriff's K9 unit are unique and are already performing beyond expectations.
A big bloodhound puppy named Melanie helped police rescued a suicidal man from a forest preserve earlier this month.
"The point of starting her on the trail where this individual had come into the woods...she solely hunted out that odor by her abilities," said Jim Pacetti, Cook County K9 Unit.
Melanie found the man in the nick of time. He was semi-conscious and partially submerged in a creek.
The K9 unit consists of a variety of dogs, including bloodhounds and German shepherds, but the most recent member of the force is a very loving, very friendly pit bull.
A pit bull named Elliot Ness is anything but untouchable. Loving and friendly, these traits keep most pit bulls from being good police dogs.
"The main problem we're finding with pit bulls is that they're too darn nice. All they want to do is just sit at your feet or crawl in your lap. They're very nice dogs," said Deborah Thedos, Cook County K9 Unit.
Police officers main contact with pit bulls is when they break up dog fighting rings. When encountering these dogs they found that they were anything but vicious.
"We knew from the get-go that these dogs, they aren't made this way," said Sheriff Tom Dart, Cook County.
For Elliot Ness's partner the pit bull is much more than just a dog.
"He's my best friend. He's my friend. He's my baby and he knows it," said Thedos .
local, phil schwarz
- Board votes to close 50 CPS schools, programs 49 min ago
- Flight delays, cancellations at O'Hare, Midway
- Brian Urlacher announces retirement from NFL
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- 2 bodies found in trunk of car in West Englewood
- How much money will be saved by school closures?
- Donald Trump civil trial jury deliberations begin
- CPS closings numbers compared to other major cities
- Mahalia Jackson community glad school will stay open
- West Aurora sex abuse probe ends without arrests
- Memorial Day: Travel down, gas prices up
- Oklahoma Tornado: How to help
- Palmer House Hilton up for sale
- abcnews: Twitter Beefs Up User Security
- I-Team: Morgue donates bodies without...
19 min ago
- Board votes to close 50 CPS schools, programs
49 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos