Chicago factory creates Oscar statuettes
January 27, 2009 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A Chicago factory is busy creating the statuettes that every actor hopes to take home from the Academy Awards.
RS Owens has been manufacturing Oscars on the city's Northwest Side every year since 1982.
Each Oscar is cast-molded, polished and electro-plated, ending with a dip in 24-karat gold. Then it gets shipped off to Hollywood.
The Academy Awards air on ABC7 on February 22.
- Snow, cold fail to deter holiday shoppers
- Chicago pastor under investigation for child sex abuse
- ABC 7 Special: Monday Night Monsters
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- 1 dead, several injured in Racine pile-up
- Patients celebrate holidays at Ronald McDonald House
- 2-year-old girl killed by dog on South Side
- Driver charged after bicyclist killed in Douglas Park accident
- FEMA canvassing tornado areas in Central Ill.
- Blackhawks G Crawford leaves game early with injury
- Chicago marks passing of Nelson Mandela
- Bears, Cowboys prepped for frigid Monday game
- Cold weather brings flight delays, cancellations
- abcnews: Man trapped in empty plane at Houston Airport
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos