Chicago factory creates Oscar statuettes
January 27, 2009 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A Chicago factory is busy creating the statuettes that every actor hopes to take home from the Academy Awards.
RS Owens has been manufacturing Oscars on the city's Northwest Side every year since 1982.
Each Oscar is cast-molded, polished and electro-plated, ending with a dip in 24-karat gold. Then it gets shipped off to Hollywood.
The Academy Awards air on ABC7 on February 22.
- Spring-like day followed by snow 38 min ago
- Firefight causes flooding in Irving Park homes
- Malaysia Airlines plane, Flight MH370, still missing
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Officer hit in face by bullet fragment released
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines plane MH370 missing
- H.S. wrestling coach accused of sex with student 44 min ago
- Man struck by cars in Lincolnwood dies, police say
- Semi crash spills plastic beads, slows Tri-State
- Metra train strikes pedestrian in New Lenox
- Person killed by Amtrak from Chicago to STL
- Chicago electric bills to rise; city claims could've been worse
- $7 million shoplifting suspects to remain jailed
- Photos: Plane entangles in skydiver parachute