Chicago factory creates Oscar statuettes
January 27, 2009 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A Chicago factory is busy creating the statuettes that every actor hopes to take home from the Academy Awards.
RS Owens has been manufacturing Oscars on the city's Northwest Side every year since 1982.
Each Oscar is cast-molded, polished and electro-plated, ending with a dip in 24-karat gold. Then it gets shipped off to Hollywood.
The Academy Awards air on ABC7 on February 22.
- 4 children injured in S. Side drive-by shooting
- Motorized wheelchair stolen from inspirational teen
- Blackhawks Seabrook suspended 3 games
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Parishioners find inspiration in Cardinal George
- Married couple found dead in Garfield Ridge
- Chicago shootings: 6 dead, 24 hurt since Friday night
- Police: One dead, one critical after South Lawndale shooting
- Six people shot at Easter party in Montgomery
- Couple marks 77-year wedding anniversary
- Utica marks 10 years since deadly tornado
- Kraft recalls 96,000 pounds of Oscar Mayer wieners
- Flowers blooming in Millennium Park's Lurie Garden
- abcnews: Russia 'Outraged' by Deadly Ukraine Shootout