Chicago 2016 venues get thumbs up
January 29, 2009 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Chicago has cleared one more hurdle in its quest to host the 2016 Summer Olympics.
The city's bid team announced this afternoon it has won the approval of all 26 International Sports Federations, an important step signaling the groups' approve of Chicago's venue plans.
The International Sports Federations asked for several changes to Chicago's plan that resulted in a shooting venue moving from Lake County to Aurora and the cycling site from a Cook County Forest Preserve in Palos Heights to southern Wisconsin.
The other 2016 candidate cities: Madrid, Rio, and Tokyo have also received the federations' stamp of approval.
local, ben bradley
- Naperville fire kills 2, injures 3 8 min ago
- Mega Millions numbers drawing yields 2 winning tickets
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Mega Millions drawing leads to $1M ticket in Chicago 22 min ago
- ADM to move headquarters to Chicago
- Illini grad to go for spacewalk on International Space Station 46 min ago
- Chicago FOP president suspended
- CTA Red Line shooting injures man at Argyle
- Aurora house fire injures 3; 4 dogs escape safe 51 min ago
- Cragin on alert after girl beaten, sexually assaulted
- Woman, 30, dead in Chicago River fall ID'd 7 min ago
- Report: CPS headquarters could move
- abcnews: Pope's Christmas Message: Serve The Poor
- Naperville fire kills 2, injures 3
8 min ago
- Mega Millions drawing leads to $1M ticket...
22 min ago