Chicago 2016 venues get thumbs up
January 29, 2009 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Chicago has cleared one more hurdle in its quest to host the 2016 Summer Olympics.
The city's bid team announced this afternoon it has won the approval of all 26 International Sports Federations, an important step signaling the groups' approve of Chicago's venue plans.
The International Sports Federations asked for several changes to Chicago's plan that resulted in a shooting venue moving from Lake County to Aurora and the cycling site from a Cook County Forest Preserve in Palos Heights to southern Wisconsin.
The other 2016 candidate cities: Madrid, Rio, and Tokyo have also received the federations' stamp of approval.
local, ben bradley
- Cardinal George: 'I expect to get through this'
- Attempted abduction prompts community alert
- Oil slicks found in hunt for missing Malaysia jet 12 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Chase bank robbed on Northwest Side
- Bombing comment no threat to parade, police say
- Snowboard park accident 911 calls released
- Bill would ban SeaWorld orca shows in California 24 min ago
- Mom accused of driving into surf goes before judge 26 min ago
- Bridge over Western demolished for Bloomingdale Trail
- Broadened Chicago ban on plastic bags gaining steam
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea, Ukraine
- Dance marathon for Lurie Children's Hospital
- abcnews: Jennifer Lawrence's Oscars Date Tells All