History of Holy Name
February 4, 2009 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Holy Name has a rich history and is significant not to Chicagoans, but also to Roman Catholics around the world.
1871:The original Holy Name was destroyed in the Great Chicago Fire. Rebuilding began almost immediately.
November 1875: The current cathedral was dedicated.
1888: The first of many renovations began
1979: Pope John Paul II visited Holy Name after celebrating mass in Grant Park. He heard concerts of liturgical music by tenor Luciano Pavarotti and the Chicago Symphony Orchestra.
November 1996: Thousands came to Holy Name to mourn a Chicago prelate. People lined up around the cathedral campus to pay their respects to Joseph Cardinal Bernadin, who had been archbishop of Chicago for 14 years.
May 1997: Portland Bishop Francis George was named archbishop of Chicago. Thousands came out for his installation ceremony, which took place at Holy Name.
2008: The sanctuary underwent extensive repairs after significant problems were found in the ceiling's structure. In February, a decorative piece of the ceiling fell onto the pews. The sanctuary was closed for nearly a year for repairs. Daily mass resumed there just this past November.
- Renovations at Holy Name:
- March 3, 2008 Services at Holy Name moved temporarily
- March 7, 2008 Holy Name Cathedral potentially relocates
- March 26, 2008 Holy Name to stay closed as roof inspections go on
- August 30, 2008: Saturday mass held at Chicago's Holy Name
- November 17, 2008: Holy Name's cathedral reopens
February 2009: Fire rips through Holy Name sanctuary
- Officer, man shot in Arlington Heights standoff
- Brutal cold grips continues; more snow coming
- Mother charged in death of 7-month-old baby
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Man charged after boy allegedly brings gun to Elgin school
- Gun violence victims remembered at Roseland vigil
- Block 37 developers indicted on federal fraud charges
- Mariano's holds job fairs this week in city, suburbs
- Our Lady of Guadalupe celebration wraps up in Des Plaines
- Feds crack down on unsafe buses
- No retrial for alleged CPD torture victim Wrice
- Rally held to support CTA program that helps ex-convicts
- Mom charged after YouTube postings of alphabet lesson
- abcnews: More Teens Sought in Mansion Party