Gang member charged in deadly arson
March 13, 2009 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A reputed gang member is now charged with killing a pregnant woman and her seven-year-old daughter by setting a fire in a Northwest Side apartment building.
Prosecutors say the arson was an attempt to kill a rival gang member.
The fire was set in a building on the 3900-block of West Argyle.
Roxana Ocampo, 23, and her daughter Itzel Fernandez,7, were killed in the fire.
Jovan Djurdilov, an 18-year-old alleged gang member, did not ignite the deadly fire, but Chicago Police say he was the lookout and that's enough to charge him with murder.
"He's every bit accountable as the person who started this fire," said Commander Joseph Salemme, Chicago Police Department
Police say on January 31, Djurdilov and other gang members used gasoline to set an apartment building on fire on the 3900-block of West Argyle.
Police say they were trying to target a rival gang inside the building.
"Arson was the terrible weapon chosen by members of one gang in the intended murder of a member of a second gang," said Salemme.
Police say the fire did not hurt the intended target. Instead, police say two innocent people who had nothing to do with the gang rivalry died from smoke inhalation - Roxana Ocampo who was pregnant and her seven-year-old daughter, Itzel Fernandez.
Police have charged Djurdilov with two counts of first-degree murder and aggravated arson. And police say another man in custody may be charged on Saturday.
"It's the stupidity of the gangs. Or they just don't care. You know, they set a fire and hope they get right guy and this time they got a pregnant woman and her little daughter. It's just unforgiveable," said Salemme.
Police also say the man implicated himself by giving a taped confession. He is held without bond. The name of the man in custody has not been released and he has not been charged at this point.
Chicago Police say that there may be more suspects they are now looking for.
local, stacey baca
- Young girl found dead in Riverdale
- Lake Shore Drive reopens after 8-hour standoff
- NCAA Tournament 2014 bracket matchups set
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 55 min ago
- Toddler reported missing on South Side
- Kevin Trudeau to be sentenced in federal court 59 min ago
- Person hit by train in Grayslake, Metra affected
- Semi rolls over at I-80 in Country Club Hills
- Late winter snow shuts schools, offices on East Coast 47 min ago
- 2 found dead in Michigan City shooting
- NIT 2014 bracket puts Illini as No. 2 seed
- Billion Dollar Bracket Challenge seeks perfect NCAA guesses
- St. Patrick's Day 2014 parades proceed amid tension over gays
- abcnews: Honda Recalls 900,000 Odyssey Minivans
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
55 min ago
- ABC7 To Go 3-17-14
35 min ago