Officer killed on duty honored
April 1, 2009 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A solemn ceremony was held Wednesday for a Chicago police officer killed in the line of duty.
Officer Nathaniel Taylor was shot and killed as he and several other officers served a search warrant at a South Side home last September.
Chicago Mayor Richard Daley and police officials honored Officer Taylor. Hundreds of officers were present for the event, along with family members, as they retired Taylor's star.
Taylor's star was officially added as the 463rd star to the superintendent's honor case. Taylor was killed in September of 2008, as he was executing a search warrant. Police say the subject of that search warrant shot him.
Taylor was a 14-year veteran of the Chicago Police Department and a member of the gang narcotics unit.
Mayor Daley and the police Superintendent Jody Weis praised Taylor's character.
"His 14-year career, he earned 55 awards. He wanted to help people make the city a better place, and he did. He understood the role of the uniform. As a member of the Marine Corps and the Chicago police," Daley said.
"Nate possessed an infectious laugh and was someone that everyone wanted to spend time with. Simply put, he was a great person. He was a great man," Weis said.
The suspect in this case is Lamar Cooper. Cooper is due in court Thursday for a status hearing, according to court records. Cooper is already a convicted felon.
- Extra-alarm blaze struck in Irving Park
- Officer hit in face by bullet fragment released
- Malaysia Airlines plane, Flight MH370, still missing
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines plane MH370 missing
- Semi crash spills plastic beads, slows Tri-State 6 min ago
- Person killed by Amtrak from Chicago to STL
- Chicago electric bills to rise; city claims could've been worse
- $7 million shoplifting suspects face detention hearing
- Teen accused in Chicago livery driver shooting death 51 min ago
- Good Samaritans rescue driver from burning van
- Man fatally shot by police in domestic dispute
- Earthquake in California centered in Eureka 42 min ago
- Photos: Plane entangles in skydiver parachute
- 7 in :77