Maggie Daley honored with award
April 28, 2009 (WLS) -- Chicago's first lady received an honor for her work with young people.
Maggie Daley received the Afterschool For All Champion Award at an event in Washington D.C. on Tuesday.
Education secretary and former Chicago Public Schools CEO Arne Duncan presented Mrs. Daley with the honor.
It is her work with Afterschool Matters which offers teens opportunities to explore different career choices and gain work skills valuable in the workforce in afterschool programs.
"Well you know, this isn't about me. This is about our teens and what they do. It's about afterschool matters, and its about the talent and the energy they bring to the program. It's really their award," said Maggie Daley.
Mrs. Daley says she is feeling well and still awaiting the results of a biopsy she underwent last week as part of her treatment for cancer.
maggie daley, local
- Snow, bitter cold to make for messy commute 59 min ago
- Office Depot moving OfficeMax HQ from Naperville to FL 49 min ago
- School, Emergency Closings
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 32 min ago
- Crews battle large fire in unoccupied Skokie building 42 min ago
- Groupon founder to donate half his wealth to charity
- Mega Millions winning numbers drawn for $344M
- Store owner shoots, kills alleged robber on SE Side
- Video released of multi-vehicle pile-up near Milwaukee 47 min ago
- Public hearing discusses Ashland bus-only lane
- Lake Zurich lockdowns lifted after reported student with weapons
- Derrick Smith wants case thrown out for being too 'vague'
- Santa visits cancer patient at Northwestern Hospital
- abcnews: Dog thwarts mail delivery for over a year
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
32 min ago
- Snow, bitter cold to make for messy commute
59 min ago
- Office Depot moving OfficeMax HQ from...
49 min ago
- Video released of multi-vehicle pile-up...
47 min ago