Brookfield Zoo mourns death of elephant
May 15, 2009 (BROOKFIELD,Ill.) (WLS) -- The Chicago Zoological Society announced the death of Affie, a 40-year-old African elephant at Brookfield Zoo on Friday afternoon.
Despite the staff's efforts to assist the 10,400-pound elephant, Affie died on Friday surrounded by her zookeepers.
At 40 years old, Affie was one of the oldest elephants in North America. She was one of the zoo's most popular animals with guests.
- Bank robber tied to Evanston tobacco shop murders 16 min ago
- Busiest holiday travel days at O'Hare, Midway
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Freezing rain north, west of Chicago
- Employees, customers prepare Dominick's final days 30 min ago
- Midlothian store allegedly burglarized 3 times in 1 night 22 min ago
- Gov. Quinn looks back on 2013
- New recreation center to serve South Side neighborhoods
- 'I-55 Bandit' pleads guilty to robbery charge
- Briggs' status still up in air for Bears
- Kanye West opens pop-up store in Chicago
- Weekender Report by Roz Varon
- abcnews: Dramatic Helicopter Rescue Caught on Tape
- Bank robber tied to Evanston tobacco shop...
16 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos