Brookfield Zoo mourns death of elephant
May 15, 2009 (BROOKFIELD,Ill.) (WLS) -- The Chicago Zoological Society announced the death of Affie, a 40-year-old African elephant at Brookfield Zoo on Friday afternoon.
Despite the staff's efforts to assist the 10,400-pound elephant, Affie died on Friday surrounded by her zookeepers.
At 40 years old, Affie was one of the oldest elephants in North America. She was one of the zoo's most popular animals with guests.
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010 murder 14 min ago
- Chicago Weather: Snow to arrive Tuesday
- Japan marks 3rd anniversary of tsunami disasters 46 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Combat Hate app launches in Chicago 9 min ago
- Retired CPD sergeant hospitalized after East Side shooting 7 min ago
- Blue Line stop reopens after water main break
- Ed Burke reflects after over 40 years as Alderman 22 min ago
- Car crashes into building in Belmont Cragin
- Illini grad Mike Hopkins lands after 6 months in space
- $7 million shoplifting suspect due in court, parents jailed
- Polar plunge raises over $1M for Special Olympics
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- abcnews: Happy Couples Share 6 Common Habits
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010...
14 min ago
- Ed Burke reflects after over 40 years as...
22 min ago
- Japan marks 3rd anniversary of tsunami...
46 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos