City gets taste of the Taste over lunch
June 10, 2009 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Chicagoans got to sink their teeth into some of the food that will be sold at the Taste of Chicago on Wednesday.
Vendors sold menu items priced from $2 to $5 at the preview, which was held at Daley Plaza. (2009 LIST OF TASTE VENDORS)
The selection included a new spin on an old favorite. Chicago staple Garrett's Popcorn will be featuring a popcornsicle, which is a caramel and cheese corn mix that's flash frozen on a stick. The popcorn balls are dipped to order in liquid nitrogen.
Blue Bayou, a new addition to the taste this year, will be serving up jambalaya, cornbread with honey chili butter and gator sausage on a stick.
Another Louisiana-influenced cuisine featured was Lagniappe. Catfish po'boys and crawfish boil are specialties they've been serving at the Taste for about 10 years.
Sabor Latino previewed Spanish-style steak and pork-filled banana dumplings, while Manny's Cafeteria & Delicatessen opted not to showcase their popular turkey legs. Instead they offered barbeque brisket sandwiches and cherry pie squares, but the turkey legs will be available at the Taste.
Arya Bhavan offered samosas made of crisp patties with potatoes, peas, coriander and spices.p> This year, all booths at the taste will be offering smaller, "taste portions."
More than 50 restaurants will be featured at the Taste of Chicago.
The 29th annual Taste of Chicago runs June 26 to July 5.
For more information on the Taste of Chicago, please visit www.explorechicago.org/city/en/things_see_do/event_landing/special_events/mose/taste_of_chicago.html.
- Winter storm could dump up to 8 inches of snow
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010 murder
- School, Emergency Closings
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- 3 people shot in car at 76th, Stony Island
- Retired CPD sergeant hospitalized after East Side shooting
- Appeals court accepts transcripts of Blago FBI wiretaps
- Repairs to city's aging sewer, water lines underway
- Combat Hate app launches in Chicago
- Olympic medalist welcomed back to Buffalo Grove school
- Ed Burke reflects after over 40 years as Alderman
- Polar plunge raises over $1M for Special Olympics
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- abcnews: Obama Shops At The Gap