Funeral set for toddler found in field
July 1, 2009 (WLS) -- A funeral service will be held Friday in Portage, Indiana, for 2-year-old Jada Justice.
Her body was found last week in a field near Otis, Indiana. Her babysitter, Engelica Castillo, 18, and the woman's boyfriend, Timothy Tkachik, 23, are charged in connection with Jada's death.
Castillo originally told police someone kidnapped the toddler. Investigators say Tkachik told police Castillo beat the toddler after a potty training accident and that he helped dispose of the body.
Not guilty pleas were entered for both suspects in court Monday.
Lake County Sheriff's Department spokesman Mike Higgins says Tkachik was Tasered Monday after he climbed onto a table in a holding cell and refused to get down.
Jada was the subject of a 10-day search after Castillo said she disappeared from a car while the baby-sitting teenager went into a Gary convenience store.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Van driver dies after fiery CTA bus crash
- 2 officers struck by car in West Side alley
- Chicago Bulls fall to Wizards 101-99 in OT
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Gacy investigation helps ID bones of man missing since 1978
- Chase preceded Roseland bus stop crash that injured 5
- Man arrested after Kilbourn Park standoff with kids, dog
- Maywood man charged in fatal West Side hit-and-run 10 min ago
- 1957 murder convict Jack McCullough files appeal
- New storm warning systems help save lives
- Photos: Van driver dies after CTA bus crash in...
- Missouri execution carried out after 1993 murder of couple over...
- Aereo vs. ABC case before SCOTUS finds justices skeptical
- abcnews: Officer Caught Tripping Kids at Soccer Game
- 7 in :77
3 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos