Funeral set for toddler found in field
July 1, 2009 (WLS) -- A funeral service will be held Friday in Portage, Indiana, for 2-year-old Jada Justice.
Her body was found last week in a field near Otis, Indiana. Her babysitter, Engelica Castillo, 18, and the woman's boyfriend, Timothy Tkachik, 23, are charged in connection with Jada's death.
Castillo originally told police someone kidnapped the toddler. Investigators say Tkachik told police Castillo beat the toddler after a potty training accident and that he helped dispose of the body.
Not guilty pleas were entered for both suspects in court Monday.
Lake County Sheriff's Department spokesman Mike Higgins says Tkachik was Tasered Monday after he climbed onto a table in a holding cell and refused to get down.
Jada was the subject of a 10-day search after Castillo said she disappeared from a car while the baby-sitting teenager went into a Gary convenience store.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Lake Shore Drive standoff ends, suspect in custody
- Chicago celebrates St. Patrick's Day 2014
- Suspect in officer's death held on $10 mil bond
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Teen stabbed during Little Village robbery
- Des Plaines Oasis closing for good Sunday night
- GOP gubernatorial candidates make last campaign push
- Parolee charged in fatal shooting
- Gary man shot, killed at South Side party
- Elmwood Park approves video gambling in restaurants
- Police officer among injured in Elgin crash
- Calif. billionaire buys record life insurance policy
- ON DEMAND: St. Patrick's Day Parade
- abcnews: Honda Recalls 900,000 Odyssey Minivans