Funeral set for toddler found in field
July 1, 2009 (WLS) -- A funeral service will be held Friday in Portage, Indiana, for 2-year-old Jada Justice.
Her body was found last week in a field near Otis, Indiana. Her babysitter, Engelica Castillo, 18, and the woman's boyfriend, Timothy Tkachik, 23, are charged in connection with Jada's death.
Castillo originally told police someone kidnapped the toddler. Investigators say Tkachik told police Castillo beat the toddler after a potty training accident and that he helped dispose of the body.
Not guilty pleas were entered for both suspects in court Monday.
Lake County Sheriff's Department spokesman Mike Higgins says Tkachik was Tasered Monday after he climbed onto a table in a holding cell and refused to get down.
Jada was the subject of a 10-day search after Castillo said she disappeared from a car while the baby-sitting teenager went into a Gary convenience store.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Off-duty sheriff's officer dies after Bellwood shooting 22 min ago
- Busiest holiday travel days at O'Hare, Midway
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Bank robber tied to Evanston tobacco shop murders
- 3 injured after Metra train hits vehicle in Des Plaines
- Illini grad Mike Hopkins prepares for spacewalk outside ISS
- Freezing rain north, west of Chicago
- Bolingbrook firefighters, Meijer donate gift cards to kids
- Dominick's stores prepare for final days of business
- Midlothian auto supply store burglarized 3 times in 1 night
- Ahmad's co-defendant pleads guilty in bribery case
- New recreation center to serve South Side neighborhoods
- abcnews: Dramatic Helicopter Rescue Caught on Tape
- Decorating Pies
43 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos