New boat launch named after former mayor
July 18, 2009 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Chicagoans can now enjoy a new boat launch on the Chicago River, and it is named after the late mayor Richard J. Daley.
His son, the city's current mayor, was on hand for Saturday's dedication at 31st Street and South Western Avenue. He says his father loved to fish, and the new site helps fulfill a dream of his to see people fishing in the Chicago River.
The new boat launce is the only one for motorized boats on the river in Chicago. Its construction improves an abandoned railroad maintenance area.
- Snow falls as shoppers brave cold temps
- Chicago pastor under investigation for child sex abuse 41 min ago
- ABC 7 Special: Monday Night Monsters
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Driver charged after bicyclist killed in Douglas Park accident 3 min ago
- Church holds service outside after roof collapse
- Bears, Cowboys prepped for frigid Monday game
- Patients celebrate holidays at Ronald McDonald House 15 min ago
- Man dies after Evanston shooting, car crash
- Illinois Tollway readies full fleet of snowplows
- Ice storm, sleet, deep freeze in Mid-Atlantic, East Coast areas
- Nelson Mandela remembrances held in Chicago, around world
- Kennedy Center Honors for Joel, MacLaine, Santana, Hancock,...
- ON DEMAND: ABC 7 Chicago's 'Heart and Soul'