Maggie Daley testifies on education
July 30, 2009 (WASHINGTON) (WLS) -- Mayor Daley's wife, Maggie, went to Capitol Hill on Thursday with a message about improving education.
Mrs. Daley testified before a House subcommittee. She talked about Chicago's effort to improve science, technology, engineering and math education inside and outside the classroom.
"These are subjects sometimes people are leery of and so i think that it's really important to think about how we're going to get people motivated, young people to have these subjects light the light for them in learning," said Maggie Daley.
Mrs. Daley says after school programs, done in cooperation with private companies, have helped get Chicago school kids involved in science education. She says it's vital in keeping America competitive in the global economy.
maggie daley, local
- Extra-alarm blaze struck in Irving Park
- Officer hit in face by bullet fragment released
- Malaysia Airlines plane, Flight MH370, still missing 39 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines plane MH370 missing
- Semi crash spills plastic beads, slows Tri-State 55 min ago
- Person killed by Amtrak from Chicago to STL
- Chicago electric bills to rise; city claims could've been worse
- $7 million shoplifting suspects face detention hearing
- Teen accused in Chicago livery driver shooting death
- Good Samaritans rescue driver from burning van
- Man fatally shot by police in domestic dispute
- Earthquake in California centered in Eureka
- Photos: Plane entangles in skydiver parachute
- 7 in :77