Soldiers return home to warm greeting
August 2, 2009 (KANKAKEE, Ill.) (WLS) -- Approximately 135 members of the Illinois Army National Guard were back home Sunday night after serving a tour of duty in Afghanistan.
The troops arrived Sunday afternoon in Kankakee from Fort McCoy, Wisconsin, and they were greeted by loved ones at a 'welcome home' ceremony.
It was the one thing family members had been waiting for. The troops arrived in Kankakee escorted by over 100 patriot riders on motorcycles.
"Oh my God, we've been waiting so long for him to come home, and now they're all going to be coming home. Thank God. They're safe," said Sandra Ramos, a soldier's mother.
"I think this city and Illinois are proud of the service men and women who have served the country, who have served in Iraq and Afghanistan. Homecoming's are always happy days," said Illinois Gov. Pat Quinn.
The governor joined the supporters to welcome back the celebrated Guardsmen and women who have been deployed to build schools and structures in the Afghanistan region.
"It's an honor for the ones that are coming back, but we must remember the POWs that are still missing in action and the ones that died for our freedom. So it's an honor just to be here today," Cmdr. Mike Carruthers of the Will County Council.
After a short ceremony, there were plenty of hugs, kisses and tears as eager soldiers were reunited with their loved ones.
"I'm so happy to see my family," the Illinois National Guard's Sgt. Bill Ringhofer said.
Although the service men and women can now go home with their families, their commitment is not over yet. They will be called back so that the military can help them reacclimate to their civilian lives.
The soldiers who returned to Kankakee Sunday were part of the largest overseas deployment of the Illinois National Guard since World War II. The deployment includes approximately 30 units throughout the state.
The remaining units are scheduled to return later in the summer.
local, evelyn holmes
- Off-duty sheriff's officer shot in Bellwood
- Busiest holiday travel days at O'Hare, Midway
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Bank robber tied to Evanston tobacco shop murders
- 3 injured after Metra train hits vehicle in Des Plaines
- Illini grad Mike Hopkins prepares for spacewalk outside ISS
- Freezing rain north, west of Chicago
- Bolingbrook firefighters, Meijer donate gift cards to kids
- Dominick's stores prepare for final days of business
- Midlothian auto supply store burglarized 3 times in 1 night
- Ahmad's co-defendant pleads guilty in bribery case
- New recreation center to serve South Side neighborhoods
- abcnews: Dramatic Helicopter Rescue Caught on Tape
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos