Parade celebrates Pakistan's independence
August 16, 2009 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- One day after India's independence was celebrated in Chicago, crowds returned to Devon Avenue Sunday to celebrate Pakistan's independence.
Pakistan's official independence day was Friday, Chicago's Pakistani community observed it Sunday with a parade and Taste of Pakistan festival.
The parade stepped off from Devon and Damen Sunday afternoon, and the festival continued until 7:30 p.m. at Warren Park.
Pakistan gained independence from British rule on Aug. 14, 1947.
- Board votes to close 50 CPS schools, programs
- Flight delays, cancellations at O'Hare, Midway
- Brian Urlacher announces retirement from NFL
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- 2 bodies found in car in West Englewood 43 min ago
- How much money will be saved by school closures?
- Chicago vehicle stickers now on sale
- Lombard man charged with threatening Glenbard East H.S.
- Donald Trump civil trial jury deliberations begin
- 4 school buses crash in Indiana, 50 injured
- Mahalia Jackson community glad school will stay open
- West Aurora sex abuse probe ends without arrests
- Palmer House Hilton up for sale
- Oklahoma Tornado: How to help
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos