Body of missing boater found on beach
August 22, 2009 (BEVERLY SHORES, Ind.) -- The body of a suburban Chicago dentist missing since he went sailing on Lake Michigan has been found at Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore.
Indiana Department of Natural Resources spokesman Gene Davis says people walking Saturday morning on Kemil Beach near Beverly Shores discovered the body of Steven Banks.
The 58-year-old Banks had gone sailing Wednesday from his home in the Miller Beach neighborhood of Gary. Banks' wife Kathy reported him missing Thursday after he failed to show up at his orthodontist office in Des Plaines, Ill.
U.S. Coast Guard boats and helicopters, Lake County Marine Units and Indiana Conservation Officers searched for Banks. A Coast Guard helicopter spotted his empty 12-foot sailboat Thursday afternoon about five miles off the Indiana shore.
An autopsy will be conducted.
Information from: Post-Tribune, http://www.post-trib.com
- Vietnam spots oil slicks in hunt for missing jet 2 min ago
- Man, 29, dead after ejected from SUV on I-57 42 min ago
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 58 min ago
- 'El Chapo' lieutenant wants trial in Chicago
- Kennedy reversible lanes closed at times this weekend
- Scoozi restaurant closing in River North
- Crime scene expert testifies for Kustok defense
- Cardinal George to undergo more chemotherapy
- Body found in sewer ID'd as missing woman
- Teen struck, killed by Metra train
- Woman stabbed after leaving Wicker Park nightclub
- Set clocks ahead for daylight saving time
- abcnews: Family Sickened By Meat Laced with LSD
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
58 min ago
- Cooking With Fish
20 min ago
- Weekender Report by Roz Varon
55 min ago