Body of missing boater found on beach
August 22, 2009 (BEVERLY SHORES, Ind.) -- The body of a suburban Chicago dentist missing since he went sailing on Lake Michigan has been found at Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore.
Indiana Department of Natural Resources spokesman Gene Davis says people walking Saturday morning on Kemil Beach near Beverly Shores discovered the body of Steven Banks.
The 58-year-old Banks had gone sailing Wednesday from his home in the Miller Beach neighborhood of Gary. Banks' wife Kathy reported him missing Thursday after he failed to show up at his orthodontist office in Des Plaines, Ill.
U.S. Coast Guard boats and helicopters, Lake County Marine Units and Indiana Conservation Officers searched for Banks. A Coast Guard helicopter spotted his empty 12-foot sailboat Thursday afternoon about five miles off the Indiana shore.
An autopsy will be conducted.
Information from: Post-Tribune, http://www.post-trib.com
- Obama urges world to act on Mandela legacy 1 min ago
- Temps dip to 18-year low, more snow on the way
- Evan Lysacek out of Sochi Games due to injury 11 min ago
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Northwest Side fire displaces 5
- Bears fans brave frigid temps at Soldier Field
- Waukegan police search for suspect in sex assault
- Mom wants justice in toddler's dog death
- Sen. Kirk undergoes gall bladder surgery
- Stained-glass exhibit opens in Chicago pedway
- Illinois man charged with animal cruelty defends actions
- $100M investment proposed for Gary Airport
- Tilting tourist attraction may come to Hancock Center
- abcnews: Most Popular Gifts: 2013 vs. 1913
- 7 in :77
- Obama urges world to act on Mandela legacy
1 min ago