Oprah plans Michigan Avenue party
Oprah Winfrey is taking her show to the streets of Chicago next week, and she is inviting everyone.
Oprah is celebrating her 24th season with by taping a show on Michigan Avenue next Tuesday. Mayor Daley says it is a great opportunity to showcase the city.
Police plan to shut down Michigan Avenue between Wacker and Ohio just after 12 a.m. on Monday. It won't reopen until 5 a.m. on Wednesday, September 9.
A spokeswoman says Harpo Productions will pay for police, paramedics, sanitation and other security, a point the mayor emphasized several times Tuesday.
"She's going to pay for all of it. See? You can report that," said Mayor Daley. "Oprah is going to pay for the entire cost. That's number one. It's filming, it's filming, it's open to all ages. She's going to pay for it. Now aren't you excited?"
The taping includes a performance by the Black Eyed Peas.
Admission is free.
The gates at Michigan and Ohio will open at noon on Tuesday, but camping out overnight is not allowed.
Read the press release about the event here.
- China: Vietnam detects signal from missing jet 38 min ago
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store 55 min ago
- Yelp Reviews: Real or Fake?
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 36 min ago
- Body found in sewer ID'd as missing woman
- Cardinal George to undergo more chemotherapy
- Scoozi restaurant closing in River North
- Kennedy reversible lanes closed at times this weekend
- Crime scene expert testifies for Kustok defense
- Woman stabbed after leaving Wicker Park nightclub
- Teen struck, killed by Metra train
- ABC7's Ravi Baichwal takes part in dance event 35 min ago
- Set clocks ahead for daylight saving time
- abcnews: Family Sickened By Meat Laced with LSD
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
36 min ago
- China: Vietnam detects signal from missing...
38 min ago
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift...
55 min ago
- Rare Tea Cellar stocks one-of-a-kind products
44 min ago