Layoffs at troubled Joliet casino
September 23, 2009 (JOLIET, Ill.) (WLS) -- Forty-five full-time and 11 part-time workers have lost their jobs at Empress Casino in Joliet.
Most of those laid off worked in the food and beverage department.
The cuts are blamed on loss of revenue since a fire in March. The casino reopened, but the restaurants and banquet halls are still being rebuilt.
Some of the workers could be rehired.
The casino has plans to hire about 25 workers in other parts of the facility.
- Tanker truck rollover closes eastbound Indiana Toll Road
- Carbon monoxide injures 12 in Skokie
- Video: I-Team Mall Security
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Larry Lujack dies at 73, wife says body to be donated
- 3 dead in 3 South Side shootings in 3 hours 16 min ago
- Deal requires removal of Chicago 'petcoke' piles
- Rogers Park stabbing seriously injures woman, 21
- Target: 40M card accounts may be breached
- City triples budget to board up closed CPS schools
- Teen dies day after Little Village shooting
- CTA Blue Line train service resumes
- abcnews: 'Duck Dynasty' Puts Star on Hiatus
- ABC7 To Go 12-19-13
21 min ago