Birds take over Bridgeport block
October 13, 2009 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Some South Side residents say the constant chirping and major mess in their neighborhood is for the birds.
Hundreds of Starlings have taken over trees in the 3200-block of South Parnell in the city's Bridgeport neighborhood. Residents said the birds are keeping them from going outside.
Bridgeport resident Paul Piraino thinks the problems might have to do with inoculations against the Emerald Ash Borer that were given to the trees by city workers, but officials say that's not the case.
"It just seems ironic that the only trees that the birds are flocking to are the trees that have been injected with whatever," said Paula Piraino, resident.
However, the City of Chicago Street and Sanitation Department, which said the bird problem is due to migratory flight, where the birds congregate in clumps of trees to look for food. Matt Smith of the Chicago Dept. of Streets and Sanitation said the nuisance is nothing new.
"We see this every year. We have talked to the Audubon Society and other people- and it's a waiting game& The colder it gets, the more likely they will be flying south for winter and leave these poor people alone," said Matt Smith, Chicago Dept. of Streets & Sanitation.
Starlings are known as pesky, loud birds.
"If they weren't seen as sort of a pest, we might look at them as somewhat exotic and beautiful," said David Willard, who has collected several samples of the birds for the Field Museum. Willard said it might take a deep freeze to get the birds to move on.
"It just depends on what the weather is like. If it is really severe here, they might move further south," said Willard.
Starlings can be an even bigger nuisance in places like Rome, Georgia, or Real Foot Lake, Tennessee, where the birds number 20 million.
local, karen jordan
- Van driver dies after fiery CTA bus crash
- 2 officers struck by car in West Side alley
- Chicago Bulls fall to Wizards 101-99 in OT
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Gacy investigation helps ID bones of man missing since 1978
- Chase preceded Roseland bus stop crash that injured 5
- Man arrested after Kilbourn Park standoff with kids, dog
- Maywood man charged in fatal West Side hit-and-run 40 min ago
- Park Ridge pole crash causes power outage 25 min ago
- 1957 murder convict Jack McCullough files appeal
- Photos: Van driver dies after CTA bus crash in...
- Missouri execution carried out after 1993 murder of couple over...
- Aereo vs. ABC case before SCOTUS finds justices skeptical
- abcnews: Officer Caught Tripping Kids at Soccer Game
- 7 in :77
33 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos