Teen fatally shot in Bronzeville
October 28, 2009 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Deadly violence has claimed the life of another Chicago Public Schools student.
An 18-year-old was shot and killed on Tuesday night while standing with friends outside his home in Chicago's Bronzeville neighborhood.
Gerod Thomas was a student at Chicago Vocational Career Academy. He's the eighth Chicago Public School student killed by violence this school year.
The shooting happened just after 6 p.m. on Tuesday in the 4200-block of South Prairie.
The shooting happened miles away from his high school, the Chicago Vocational Career Academy, and hours after school had let out.
Chicago Public Schools says 18-year-old Gerod Thomas was in school on Tuesday and had no disciplinary issues. But he was gunned down -- for reasons still unknown -- right in front of his house.
Bullet holes -- one in the window, two in the door -- mark where a gunman driving by took aim at Thomas.
Chicago police say there was a fourth shot that hit Thomas in his back and exited through his chest.
After being shot, he ran into the house yelling for help.
"That was his last words saying, 'mama call the police because I've been shot,'" said Regina Thomas, victim's aunt.
One shot was all it took.
Thomas died minutes later at Stroger Hospital, becoming the eighth Chicago Public Schools student to die by violence so far this school year.
Family members say earlier this year, they moved from Englewood to the Bronzeville neighborhood hoping it would be safer.
Gerod's mother, who had nine children, says they shared a special bond.
"He was the one, I think...the chosen one I think because he was my middle child," said Gloria Thomas, victim's mother.
"I loved my brother so much, he was my favorite brother," said Margaret Thomas, victim's sister.
Thomas loved basketball, skating and dancing and flirting with girls. And his family says he was definitely not affiliated with a gang.
But Thomas' death was one of several on a violent night in Chicago. Six people in all were shot, three of them killed.
Police say they have few leads in tracking down Thomas' killer. His family says someone must know something.
"I know you're scared and you probably didn't mean to do it, but you've got to give yourself up," said Gloria Thomas.
local, kevin roy
- 2 teens found dead in South Side apartment 14 min ago
- Suburban woman wins $14M verdict in Yasmin case 11 min ago
- Ashland bridge moved to new location on Western Avenue
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Teen dead after chase, shooting end in West Town crash 28 min ago
- Firefighters battle blaze in West Garfield Park
- Man appears in court with part of ear bitten off
- SUV crashes into Villa Park house
- 1 dead, 4 hurt in crash on transition ramp on freeway
- Anti-violence Easter march held in South Chicago
- Teens help clean up Chicago's beaches
- Missing boy's body found off Mass. highway
- Photos: Iran killer spared just before hanging
- abcnews: Twins Attack Carjacker With Fists, Toy Snake