Chicagoans help hurricane victims
November 9, 2009 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Hurricane Ida was downgraded to a tropical storm as it approached the Gulf Coast of the U.S. , but it left hundreds of people dead and many more homeless in Central America.
Hurricane Ida never became a major hurricane, but the storm did cause widespread flooding and devastation in Central America. The hardest hit country is El Salvador, where at least 130 people were killed and more than 10,000 are left homeless.
Ida was a minimal hurricane when it came on shore last week in Central America but then it just sat over land for 2 1/2 days before moving offshore. The torrential rain not only caused flooding but massive landslides.
Relief efforts are underway-- including one right here in Chicago.
"I want the community to bring clothes, medicine, medical supplies and also food and cans that we can bring to El Salvador," said Fr. Jose Landaverde, Our Lady of Guadalupe Mission.
Though the El Salvadoran population in the Chicago area is only about 15,000 aide workers hope that people from other nationalities will also help out.
"We need or allies, our members out there, and all the people in general to come and join us in this campaign," said Jose Herrera, Our Lady of Guadalupe Mission.
This group had done large relief efforts before including sending 12 trucks of supplies to survivors of Katrina.
Donations can be sent to Anglican Province of America, 3442 West 26th Street or Azteca Mall, 3200 S. Kedzie.
local, phil schwarz
- 2 winter storms take aim at Chicago area
- Missing Michigan doctor's car found in Indiana
- Video: I-Team Mall Security
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Bogus Target charges may not appear for months
- Woman charged after 30 dogs removed from home
- Dixon to receive $9.2M restitution in Crundwell case
- Maine West coach hazing trial put on hold until January
- 2 men killed within blocks of each other in South Shore
- No CO detectors in Skokie apartments where people sickened
- Indiana Toll Road reopened after truck rollover
- Elkhart native killed in NATO helicopter crash in Afghanistan
- Aurora pastor gets 12 years in prison
- abcnews: Reddit Secret Santa User is Bill Gates