Suspect arrested in 11 Craigslist robberies
November 20, 2009 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Bond was set for $500,000 for the "Craigslist" robber.
Police said 20-year-old Dwayne Williams was caught in a covert sting operation Tuesday.
Williams is accused of posting items for sale on Craigslist and then robbing unsuspecting victims at gunpoint once they arrive to purchase the merchandise.
Detectives say they met Williams on the 8700-block of South Parnell after answering what they determined to be a false Craigslist ad selling a TV. As the detectives approached Williams, they say he displayed a revolver, at which time the detectives identified themselves as police officers.
Police say Williams then attempted to flee on foot but was caught.
Previous victims identified Williams in a lineup, police said, and authorities believe Williams is connected to at least 11 similar robberies in the same area.
Police said internet crimes take longer to solve.
"Craigslist is so extensive with the number of ads that they have and the offenders are able, after they commit the robberies to delete the ads. It becomes real time intensive and paper intensive because subpeonas have to go out to Craigs List," said Detective Joseph McGuire, Chicago Police Department."
crime, robbery, local
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010 murder 9 min ago
- Chicago Weather: Snow to arrive Tuesday 56 min ago
- Japan marks 3rd anniversary of tsunami disasters 41 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Combat Hate app launches in Chicago 4 min ago
- Retired CPD sergeant hospitalized after East Side shooting 2 min ago
- Blue Line stop reopens after water main break
- Ed Burke reflects after over 40 years as Alderman 17 min ago
- Car crashes into building in Belmont Cragin
- Illini grad Mike Hopkins lands after 6 months in space
- $7 million shoplifting suspect due in court, parents jailed
- Polar plunge raises over $1M for Special Olympics
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- abcnews: Happy Couples Share 6 Common Habits
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010...
9 min ago
- Ed Burke reflects after over 40 years as...
17 min ago
- Japan marks 3rd anniversary of tsunami...
41 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos