7-car crash on Dan Ryan expressway
November 21, 2009 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- ABC7 Chicago is told authorities have reopened the northbound express lanes of the Dan Ryan Expressway after a seven-car crash closed them Saturday afternoon.
Illinois State Police say the accident occurred at about 2 p.m. Saturday near 31st Street. Local lanes on the Dan Ryan and southbound lanes remained open.
According to the Chicago Fire Department, eight people, including one child, sustained injuries that were not life-threatening.
While the lanes were closed, Chicago Police and the Illinois Department of Transportation assisted with traffic control. State police said drivers were becoming frustrated and turning their cars around on the expressway, leading to more problems.
The cause of the crash is under investigation.
(The Associated Press contributed to this report.)
traffic crash, street closures, local
- LIVE Coverage of Nelson Mandela Memorial 6 min ago
- Bears fans brave frigid temps at Soldier Field
- Waukegan police search for suspect in sex assault
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 1 min ago
- Mom wants justice in toddler's dog death
- Sen. Kirk undergoes gall bladder surgery
- Stained-glass exhibit opens in Chicago pedway
- Illinois man charged with animal cruelty defends actions
- $100M investment proposed for Gary Airport
- Deer falls through ice in Willow Springs
- Passengers stranded overnight at O'Hare airport
- Tilting tourist attraction may come to Hancock Center
- Vaccinate Illinois Week kicks off to promote flu shots
- abcnews: Most Popular Gifts: 2013 vs. 1913
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
1 min ago