7-car crash on Dan Ryan expressway
November 21, 2009 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- ABC7 Chicago is told authorities have reopened the northbound express lanes of the Dan Ryan Expressway after a seven-car crash closed them Saturday afternoon.
Illinois State Police say the accident occurred at about 2 p.m. Saturday near 31st Street. Local lanes on the Dan Ryan and southbound lanes remained open.
According to the Chicago Fire Department, eight people, including one child, sustained injuries that were not life-threatening.
While the lanes were closed, Chicago Police and the Illinois Department of Transportation assisted with traffic control. State police said drivers were becoming frustrated and turning their cars around on the expressway, leading to more problems.
The cause of the crash is under investigation.
(The Associated Press contributed to this report.)
traffic crash, street closures, local
- Falling ice triggered by latest winter storm
- Young girl killed by falling bookcase in Northbrook
- 3-year old killed in Rogers Park fire
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Stone lions vandalized at Chicago museum
- Police: Woman sexually assaulted on Northwest Side
- Pre-high blood pressure can increase stroke risk, study finds
- Snow carving left by artist at State, Van Buren
- Political consultant hit by falling ice
- Chicago River to be dyed green this weekend despite ice
- Man charged with shooting Chicago officer
- Chicago students take part in poetry festival
- Video: Ice chunks undulate on Lake Michigan
- abcnews: Amazon Accused of Cheating on Free Shipping