Post office sees busiest day of season
December 14, 2009 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- It's time to get holiday packages and cards in the mail.
Monday is expected to be the busiest mailing day of the season for the U.S. Postal Service.
With Christmas now just eleven days away, folks are flocking to the post office to mail their packages and letters.
"I have about 50 more in the car, but I'm just bringing these up right now. These are going to Canada and different parts of the U.S.," said Taryn Edwards, post office customer.
"I have 60 Christmas cards here. I know they'll get there in two days," said Michelle Calcagno, post office customer.
"I'm sending some candy off to one of the troops for Christmas from my church. Not only I work here but I'm a customer, too," said Antoinette Lewis, Post office customer and employee.
The post office will handle 830 million pieces of mail nationwide today making it the busiest day of the year. Even Santa Claus is pushing the Postal Service message to get your mail out as soon as possible.
"I snuck down here to make sure everybody showed up on time to get their mail in so I can get it on time. Otherwise you're not going to get your presents on time," said a man dressed up as Santa Claus in one Chicago post office.
The increased volume will keep post office workers busy right into next week.
Postal workers are putting in longer hours but don't foresee any problems keeping up with the influx of mail.
"We pretty much stay on top of it. As long as the equipment is operating properly and good, we shouldn't have any problems," said Pervas Switzer, post office manager.
You can still send your holiday gifts and cards within the next week and they will arrive before Christmas. But after next Monday it will cost you a lot more if you want your present to arrive on time.
"If they use priority mail, flat rate, it starts at $4.95. Express mail would be $13.95 and that cuts the time down," said Mikal Sutherlin, post office manager.
Make sure any gifts you send are properly labeled and packaged before you mail them.
holiday, city of chicago, local, phil schwarz
- 2 winter storms take aim at Chicago area 1 min ago
- Missing Michigan doctor's car found in Indiana 40 min ago
- Video: I-Team Mall Security
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Maine West coach hazing trial put on hold until January
- 2 men killed within blocks of each other in South Shore 42 min ago
- No CO detectors in Skokie apartments where people sickened 49 min ago
- Man believed to be Gacy victim found, reunited with family 1 min ago
- Target credit card breach affects 40 million accounts 41 min ago
- Over 80 injured in partial London theater collapse
- Indiana Toll Road reopened after truck rollover
- Elkhart native killed in NATO helicopter crash in Afghanistan
- Aurora pastor gets 12 years in prison
- Fans, former colleagues remember 'Superjock' Larry Lujack 51 min ago
- Toys for Tots gifts needed
4 min ago
- Target credit card breach affects 40...
41 min ago