Rink at Wrigley opens for winter
December 19, 2009 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- On a day fit only for winter sports, the Chicago Park District opened its "Rink at Wrigley" Saturday.
The full-size ice skating rink is just outside Wrigley Field near Clark and Waveland.
Cubs pitcher Ryan Dempster was joined by Blackhawk legend Stan Mikita for a ceremonial first pitch, and a team of synchronized ice dancers performed before the rink opened for a free skate by the public.
Business and political leaders joined sponsors and new Cubs owners Tom and Laura Ricketts for an official opening ceremony.
"One thing we believe we're ushering in right now is an era of consistent success on the field, but as importantly, a consistent relationship with the neighborhood and doing everything we can to be great neighbors to everyone in the community," Tom Ricketts said.
The rink at Wrigley will be open through February.
- CPD officer killed in crash after police chase 41 min ago
- Brief warmup followed by snow
- Digital assets becoming part of estate planning
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Body found near Ind. river where woman last seen 36 min ago
- Con men targeting Mount Greenwood senior citizens
- Former Will Co. jail inmate sues over alleged excessive force
- State Rep. race in SW suburbs heats up
- Des Plaines Oasis closing for good Sunday
- 11th District Republicans hope to unseat Bill Foster
- Chicagoan helping to empower college students
- Ventra system only way to pay by July 1
- Video: Time-Lapse Video: Snow Melt in Naperville
- abcnews: Chris Brown Arrested for Violating Probation
- CPD officer killed in crash after police...
41 min ago