Rink at Wrigley opens for winter
December 19, 2009 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- On a day fit only for winter sports, the Chicago Park District opened its "Rink at Wrigley" Saturday.
The full-size ice skating rink is just outside Wrigley Field near Clark and Waveland.
Cubs pitcher Ryan Dempster was joined by Blackhawk legend Stan Mikita for a ceremonial first pitch, and a team of synchronized ice dancers performed before the rink opened for a free skate by the public.
Business and political leaders joined sponsors and new Cubs owners Tom and Laura Ricketts for an official opening ceremony.
"One thing we believe we're ushering in right now is an era of consistent success on the field, but as importantly, a consistent relationship with the neighborhood and doing everything we can to be great neighbors to everyone in the community," Tom Ricketts said.
The rink at Wrigley will be open through February.
- Van driver dies after fiery CTA bus crash
- 2 officers struck by car in West Side alley
- Chicago Bulls fall to Wizards 101-99 in OT
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Gacy investigation helps ID bones of man missing since 1978
- Chase preceded Roseland bus stop crash that injured 5
- Man arrested after Kilbourn Park standoff with kids, dog
- Maywood man charged in fatal West Side hit-and-run
- Park Ridge pole crash causes power outage 58 min ago
- 1957 murder convict Jack McCullough files appeal
- Photos: Van driver dies after CTA bus crash in...
- Missouri execution carried out after 1993 murder of couple over...
- Aereo vs. ABC case before SCOTUS finds justices skeptical
- abcnews: Officer Caught Tripping Kids at Soccer Game
- 7 in :77
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos