Rink at Wrigley opens for winter
December 19, 2009 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- On a day fit only for winter sports, the Chicago Park District opened its "Rink at Wrigley" Saturday.
The full-size ice skating rink is just outside Wrigley Field near Clark and Waveland.
Cubs pitcher Ryan Dempster was joined by Blackhawk legend Stan Mikita for a ceremonial first pitch, and a team of synchronized ice dancers performed before the rink opened for a free skate by the public.
Business and political leaders joined sponsors and new Cubs owners Tom and Laura Ricketts for an official opening ceremony.
"One thing we believe we're ushering in right now is an era of consistent success on the field, but as importantly, a consistent relationship with the neighborhood and doing everything we can to be great neighbors to everyone in the community," Tom Ricketts said.
The rink at Wrigley will be open through February.
- CPS school closings begin
- Child luring alert issued in Albany Park 5 min ago
- Heat beat Spurs in Game 6, tie NBA Finals
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 33 min ago
- Illinois' pension crisis, by the numbers
- Chicago Shooting Count: 8 shot in 9 hours Monday
- Governor, lawmakers plan to form new pension committee
- Most Blackhawks fans believe team will bounce back
- Chicago man creates smartphone safety app
- Supreme Court grants Madigan more time on guns
- Lombard's Los Burritos Mexicanos still closed after E. coli cases
- Bruins beat Blackhawks in NHL finals Game 3
- Car slams into Sauk Village apartment, sleeping couple injured
- abcnews: Ohio Town Police Chief a Facebook Hit
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
33 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos