Rink at Wrigley opens for winter
December 19, 2009 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- On a day fit only for winter sports, the Chicago Park District opened its "Rink at Wrigley" Saturday.
The full-size ice skating rink is just outside Wrigley Field near Clark and Waveland.
Cubs pitcher Ryan Dempster was joined by Blackhawk legend Stan Mikita for a ceremonial first pitch, and a team of synchronized ice dancers performed before the rink opened for a free skate by the public.
Business and political leaders joined sponsors and new Cubs owners Tom and Laura Ricketts for an official opening ceremony.
"One thing we believe we're ushering in right now is an era of consistent success on the field, but as importantly, a consistent relationship with the neighborhood and doing everything we can to be great neighbors to everyone in the community," Tom Ricketts said.
The rink at Wrigley will be open through February.
- Fire at building, church in Gary, Indiana
- Fast-food workers protest low wages
- Video: Ditka Talks: Thursday @ 10 PM
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Woman, 23, missing from Lincoln Square
- CTA Blue Line to receive $492M investment
- Mayor to create grocery store task force
- 2 men arrested on drug charges 30 min ago
- Chicago Bears visit Washington IL as tornado communities brace... 13 min ago
- 3 in custody in Homewood bank robbery
- Stagg High School students, teacher fall ill
- 2015 Ford Mustang unveiling to celebrate 50 years 51 min ago
- abcnews: Meet Wonder Woman: Gal Gadot
- 7 in :77
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos