Chicago shoppers look for last-minute gifts
December 19, 2009 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Super Saturday, the Saturday before Christmas, often is considered the second busiest shopping day of the holiday season.
With Christmas coming Friday, retailers are hoping for a busy weekend at cash registers.
Armed with their dollars and debit cards, last-minute shoppers hit Chicago area stores and shopping malls on the final weekend before the holiday.
"I'm just looking. I might have missed something. I'm just looking now," shopper Michael Harris said.
At Yorktown shopping center, mall officials were doing what they could to help draw in customers and keep them coming.
"We've had pet night with Santa. We have a hockey signing with the Blackhawks today, and we have Gayle Sayers who will be signing at one of the stores," said Lynette Steinhouser of Yorktown Shopping Center.
Many stores at the suburban shopping center were hoping December would make up for a slow October and November.
"Since Thanksgiving, things have been getting progressively better and going really good. No complaints," said Mark Kolbusz of Crosstown Sports.
With less than a week before Christmas, for some, the rush is on for those desperately seeking holiday gifts.
"I'm just procrastinating," Joelle Erickson said.
"They have tremendous bargains. But you do see the faces of the people with what they wish they could get and what they can get, but the spirit is really good," said shopper Tange Holmes-Brown.
And that's what experts say is driving an increase in customer traffic and sales, especially along Chicago's fashionable Mag Mile.
"The Mag Miles Lights Festival shopping was the first indication that things were looking up," said John Chikow of the Greater North Michigan Avenue Association.
local, evelyn holmes
- Ice to slicken roads before snow rolls in
- Off-duty sheriff's officer dies in Bellwood shooting
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Bruce Rauner wins Cook County GOP endorsement 26 min ago
- 1 dead, 9 wounded in shootings since Friday 48 min ago
- Astronauts sail through repair spacewalks aboard ISS 37 min ago
- Bensenville police shooting injures man
- Police: Drunk driver crashes into squard car
- Siblings becoming guardians of disabled adults
- Tonsil surgery tragedy judge orders life support for girl, 13
- Nigeria mass wedding marries 1,111 couples
- Chicago art exhibit celebrates food
- abcnews: Feds: Woman caught after 36 years on run
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos