Hearing to be held on Thomson prison plan
December 21, 2009 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A state hearing on the plan to move suspected terrorists to Illinois will be held on Tuesday.
About 50 people are scheduled to testify before the Commission on Government Forecasting and Accountability about the conversion of the Thomson Correctional Center.
Those in favor of the plan say it will help create hundreds of job in the area which is about 150 miles west of Chicago.
Opponents are concerned about safety in the northwest Illinois community if 100 terror suspects are housed there.
The hearing will be held in Sterling, Illinois which is just outside of Thomson.
thomson correctional center, local
- Freezing rain, snow spreads across NW suburbs
- Boy, 11, killed after carjacker crashes into SUV
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Off-duty sheriff's officer dies in Bellwood shooting
- Flossmoor boy, 15, charged with murdering older brother
- Albany Park youth orchestra broadens students' horizons
- 400 tuba players perform at Palmer House Hilton
- Families of murdered children gather at St. Sabina
- Holiday posada offers health insurance help in Pilsen
- Funeral held for teacher killed in Indiana roadside crash
- Bruce Rauner wins Cook County GOP endorsement
- hAPPy Holidays from ABC7 Chicago
- abcnews: 4 Arrested in Deadly NJ Mall Carjacking