Hearing to be held on Thomson prison plan
December 21, 2009 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A state hearing on the plan to move suspected terrorists to Illinois will be held on Tuesday.
About 50 people are scheduled to testify before the Commission on Government Forecasting and Accountability about the conversion of the Thomson Correctional Center.
Those in favor of the plan say it will help create hundreds of job in the area which is about 150 miles west of Chicago.
Opponents are concerned about safety in the northwest Illinois community if 100 terror suspects are housed there.
The hearing will be held in Sterling, Illinois which is just outside of Thomson.
thomson correctional center, local
- Woman narrowly escapes grocery store crash
- Officials probe potential threat on Delta flight
- I-Team: Kevin Trudeau, an unlikely pauper
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Woman rescued from Lake Michigan near Jackson
- Chicago woman wins $14M verdict in Yasmin case
- CTA Orange Line track work underway this weekend
- Boy who drowned in Crystal Lake pond ID'd
- CPD bike patrols to swarm high-crime areas
- Man charged in CTA Yellow Line attack on senior citizen
- Man accused of Naperville 'Simpsons' graffiti
- Pilsen parishes join together for Good Friday procession
- Photos: Iran killer spared just before hanging
- abcnews: Twins Attack Carjacker With Fists, Toy Snake