Would-be ATM thieves duct tape workers
December 30, 2009 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Workers at a Near North Side recycling company were attacked as two suspects duct taped them together trying to make off with an ATM.
It happened just before 7 a.m. Wednesday at Sims Metal Management on West Cortland.
Chicago police walked around the property looking for clues and evidence Wednesday morning. Police say the two suspects tied up the employees and then tried to steal a money machine.
The suspects are described as armed. They had been wearing masks and may have been driving a dark colored Jeep Cherokee.
Customers say the ATM is located inside the office building. They say employees are usually in a secured, glassed area.
Once scrappers drop off metal, they say the employees pay them with a debit card. They then use that debit card in the ATM to collect their money.
"They are all behind glass, and the money is outside in a big machine, like an ATM machine, a big machine, we use a card," said James H., customer.
It's unclear where the employees were located during the robbery attempt. But the ATM was so heavy, so large, that the robbers were unable to steal it. And the employees were able to free themselves.
There are several security cameras located on the property, and police will likely comb through the video.
"It's horrible because you come in there and you don't know if you're walking into that situation. That's the scary party, especially in broad daylight," said Nathan Frank, customer.
Sims Metal Management was closed for the rest of the day and over the New Year holiday but will reopen next week.
- CTA Red Line shooting injures man at Argyle
- Cragin on alert after girl, 15, beaten, sexually assaulted
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Mega Millions: 1 ticket worth $1 million sold in Chicago
- Boy, 16, critically wounded in Little Village shooting 50 min ago
- Report: CPS headquarters could move 34 min ago
- 30 dogs removed from North Chicago apartment
- 1-month anniversary of Midwest tornadoes outbreak
- Woman, 30, dead in Chicago River fall ID'd 1 min ago
- ADM to open headquarters in Chicago, sources say
- Consumer Reports: Best and Worst Value Cars
- Submit Your Holiday Lights Photos/Video to ABC7
- abcnews: Pope's Christmas Message: Serve The Poor 15 min ago
- 7 in :77