Suspect charged in Roseland woman's murder
January 5, 2010 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A Chicago man appeared in court Tuesday charged with murdering his female neighbor in the city's Roseland neighborhood.
Joyce Fulgium, 61, was found stabbed to death in her home on Saturday.
Prosecutors say 43-year-old Vincent Williams has a long criminal history with 15 felony convictions dating back to 1987. But now, for the first time, he's charged with murder, accused of killing his Fulgium.
"He was able to gain entry to her house. Once he was inside, he subsequently stabbed her repeatedly in the neck and face," said George Canellis, Assistant State's Attorney.
Prosecutors say Williams, who lives a few doors down from Fulgium, broke into her home last week, killed her, then stole her possessions to support his drug habit. They say he took her jeep and returned to the house multiple times to steal television sets, a computer, and jewelry.
Fulgium's body was found in her home Saturday. A day later, police arrested Williams, after stopping him in her stolen jeep and finding blood on his pants.
Neighbors reacted to news of Williams' arrest.
"I just think it's an atrocity where a human being would come and take another human being's life. For what? A trinket or joy ride? That's appalling," said Tommy West, neighbor.
According to prosecutors, Fulgium and Williams knew each other and, as the neighborhood handy man, he often did odd jobs around her house.
Fulgium lived alone. She had been taking care of her elderly father who died a few months ago.
"He was helpful and helped my friend with different things. He was a normal guy. I never even suspected that he would be involved in anything like that," said Debra Charleston, neighbor.
Prosecutors say witnesses saw Williams trying to sell Fulgium's belongings on the street. His next court appearance is later this month.
local, karen jordan
- Body ID'd as missing UofC student, 20 7 min ago
- Students, teachers tearful as CPS closures begin 36 min ago
- Heat beat Spurs in Game 6, tie NBA Finals
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Special session expected to form pension committee
- Child luring alert issued in Albany Park
- Man convicted with twin faces new sex trafficking charges
- Couple headed for Dwight, Ill., go missing, turn up lost in Mich. 6 min ago
- Firefighter in prison for wife murder still gets pension 5 min ago
- Museum of Science and Industry marks 80th birthday
- Fed suggests it's closer to slowing bond purchases 49 min ago
- Illinois' pension crisis, by the numbers
- Chicago Shooting Count: 8 shot in 9 hours Monday
- abcnews: Ohio Town Police Chief a Facebook Hit
- Lunch Break