Winter biking: Cyclists brave elements, enjoy ride
January 8, 2010 (WLS) -- A half-foot of snow can be daunting for drivers, a headache for walkers and make a calamity of the commute. But for some cyclists it makes a great ride.
Sure, anyone can do it when the sun is shining and the thermometer reads 80-degrees. But, it takes a special breed to break out the bike during a winter snowstorm.
"Winter in Chicago doesn't conqueror cyclists, cyclists in Chicago conqueror winter!" said one man while grabbing his bike.
Whenever more than two inches of snow fall in the city, these cycling enthusiasts gather at the appropriately named Handlebar tavern. They swap stories from recent rides, some down a bit of liquid courage and then they don their winter wear and hit the streets.
"It's 50-percent guts and zest and just sheer will and the other 50 percent is gear, knowledge and knowing what you're doing out here," said Kevin Monahan, winter biker.
They pass drivers scraping their windshield, try to avoid plows like the plague, and- for the most part- try to stick to the side streets for their three-plus mile winter rides.
"It would be easy to live in a warm climate and bike all winter long," said one rider.
"One of the great things about biking in the winter is it gets you out of the house and you can avoid cabin fever," said Dave Glowacz, winter biker.
Some of the winter riders are the same folks you'll find filling downtown streets during monthly bike rallies called Critical Mass. Their numbers fall with the temperature- but so does the disdain from those who prefer four wheels to two.
"We don't get heckled as much in the winter. We get more respect. I think they appreciate us for our guts!" said Monahan.
The driving force behind snow cycling is a simple belief: If kids can play in the snow, so should adults.
Winter Bike Resources:
Events on The Chainlink, social networking site for Chicago cyclists:
local, ben bradley
- Girl sexually assaulted near Safe Passage route
- 30 dogs removed from North Chicago apartment
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- 1-month anniversary of Midwest tornadoes outbreak
- ADM to open headquarters in Chicago, sources say
- Police search for suspect in Valparaiso armed robberies
- Plane lands at O'Hare after reporting mechanical problem
- Woman, 30, dead in Chicago River fall ID'd
- Reno hospital shooting on campus kills 2, including gunman
- 2 former players allege abuse during Maine West hazing trial
- Dart: Concealed carry approval process flawed
- Salvation Army feeds families, seniors in need in Chicago
- abcnews: Dad, Daughter Recreate Wedding Photos