Search still on for missing west suburban man
February 22, 2010 (WHEATON, Ill.) (WLS) -- The DuPage County Sheriff's Department says it has not given up on its search for a missing west suburban businessman.
John Spira, 45, of St. Charles has been missing since February 23, 2007.
There are other missing person cases in the Chicago area that have gotten more attention, but investigators say that few are more mysterious than the circumstances surrounding John Spira's disappearance.
Spira, co-owner of Universal Cable Construction, was last seen at a company outing in West Chicago. He was also a blues guitarist who played in a number of local clubs with his band, the Rabble Rousers.
Spira's family has been out searching a number of time times and even had a group of 40 people helping on one occasion. They have also handed out fliers to help generate tips for detectives. But so far, nothing has helped to direct the investigation in a specific direction.
"We would like to have some direction for the investigation as far as whether we're definitively dealing with foul play or somebody who is missing voluntarily. We don't even have that answer. A lot of information that can be taken both ways," said Detective Commander Mark Edwalds, DuPage County Sheriff's Department.
Detectives say there have been no signs of foul play but no signs to suggest that Spira became missing voluntarily. Spira's truck, with his laptop still in it, was parked behind his place of business at the time that he was reported missing.
Police say they can use some help. The case is still open but they need some tips to generate further investigation.
local, john garcia
- Retired CPD sergeant critical after SE Side shooting 2 min ago
- Grand Blue Line stop reopened after water main break
- Flight 370, missing Malaysia plane, had asylum seeker onboard 17 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Suburban police to begin carrying Narcan
- Gary shooting: 1 dead, at least 2 others injured
- Chicagoans 'save,' electric bills skyrocket
- H.S. wrestling coach accused of sex with student
- GOP candidates for IL treasurer square off in forum
- Mt. Prospect woman accuses neighbor of hate crime
- Chicago pothole 'strike teams,' formed by CDOT crews
- Spring-like day followed by snow
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures 23 min ago
- abcnews: Happy Couples Share 6 Common Habits