Search still on for missing west suburban man
February 22, 2010 (WHEATON, Ill.) (WLS) -- The DuPage County Sheriff's Department says it has not given up on its search for a missing west suburban businessman.
John Spira, 45, of St. Charles has been missing since February 23, 2007.
There are other missing person cases in the Chicago area that have gotten more attention, but investigators say that few are more mysterious than the circumstances surrounding John Spira's disappearance.
Spira, co-owner of Universal Cable Construction, was last seen at a company outing in West Chicago. He was also a blues guitarist who played in a number of local clubs with his band, the Rabble Rousers.
Spira's family has been out searching a number of time times and even had a group of 40 people helping on one occasion. They have also handed out fliers to help generate tips for detectives. But so far, nothing has helped to direct the investigation in a specific direction.
"We would like to have some direction for the investigation as far as whether we're definitively dealing with foul play or somebody who is missing voluntarily. We don't even have that answer. A lot of information that can be taken both ways," said Detective Commander Mark Edwalds, DuPage County Sheriff's Department.
Detectives say there have been no signs of foul play but no signs to suggest that Spira became missing voluntarily. Spira's truck, with his laptop still in it, was parked behind his place of business at the time that he was reported missing.
Police say they can use some help. The case is still open but they need some tips to generate further investigation.
local, john garcia
- Baby found in car seat pronounced dead
- Thousands expected at Our Lady of Guadalupe shrine
- Video: I-Team Thursday at 10
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Wind Chill Advisory in effect for city, suburbs
- Chicago Skyway reopened after 5 injured in accident
- Renee Fleming, Yo Yo Ma celebrate CPS arts program
- Mariano's to hold 3 job fairs this week in city, suburbs
- Chicago Children's Choir alumni reunite to honor Mandela
- Family searching for missing Lansing man
- 2 moms seek answers in sons' police shooting deaths
- Stanley Wrice, alleged police torture victim, released from...
- Man sues, alleging victimization by convicted priest
- abcnews: How Tom Hanks became Walt Disney