Search still on for missing west suburban man
February 22, 2010 (WHEATON, Ill.) (WLS) -- The DuPage County Sheriff's Department says it has not given up on its search for a missing west suburban businessman.
John Spira, 45, of St. Charles has been missing since February 23, 2007.
There are other missing person cases in the Chicago area that have gotten more attention, but investigators say that few are more mysterious than the circumstances surrounding John Spira's disappearance.
Spira, co-owner of Universal Cable Construction, was last seen at a company outing in West Chicago. He was also a blues guitarist who played in a number of local clubs with his band, the Rabble Rousers.
Spira's family has been out searching a number of time times and even had a group of 40 people helping on one occasion. They have also handed out fliers to help generate tips for detectives. But so far, nothing has helped to direct the investigation in a specific direction.
"We would like to have some direction for the investigation as far as whether we're definitively dealing with foul play or somebody who is missing voluntarily. We don't even have that answer. A lot of information that can be taken both ways," said Detective Commander Mark Edwalds, DuPage County Sheriff's Department.
Detectives say there have been no signs of foul play but no signs to suggest that Spira became missing voluntarily. Spira's truck, with his laptop still in it, was parked behind his place of business at the time that he was reported missing.
Police say they can use some help. The case is still open but they need some tips to generate further investigation.
local, john garcia
- Teen dead after car chase and shooting
- Ashland bridge moved to new location on Western Avenue
- South Korea ferry captain, 2 crew members arrested
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- 1 dead, 4 hurt in crash on transition ramp on freeway
- I-Team: Kevin Trudeau, an unlikely pauper
- Woman dies after being rescued from Lake Michigan
- Chicago woman wins $14M verdict in Yasmin case
- CTA Orange Line track work underway this weekend
- Boy who drowned in Crystal Lake pond ID'd
- CPD bike patrols to swarm high-crime areas
- Man charged in CTA Yellow Line attack on senior citizen
- Photos: Iran killer spared just before hanging
- abcnews: Twins Attack Carjacker With Fists, Toy Snake
- Let's Dish: German Apple Pancakes
44 min ago