Search still on for missing west suburban man
February 22, 2010 (WHEATON, Ill.) (WLS) -- The DuPage County Sheriff's Department says it has not given up on its search for a missing west suburban businessman.
John Spira, 45, of St. Charles has been missing since February 23, 2007.
There are other missing person cases in the Chicago area that have gotten more attention, but investigators say that few are more mysterious than the circumstances surrounding John Spira's disappearance.
Spira, co-owner of Universal Cable Construction, was last seen at a company outing in West Chicago. He was also a blues guitarist who played in a number of local clubs with his band, the Rabble Rousers.
Spira's family has been out searching a number of time times and even had a group of 40 people helping on one occasion. They have also handed out fliers to help generate tips for detectives. But so far, nothing has helped to direct the investigation in a specific direction.
"We would like to have some direction for the investigation as far as whether we're definitively dealing with foul play or somebody who is missing voluntarily. We don't even have that answer. A lot of information that can be taken both ways," said Detective Commander Mark Edwalds, DuPage County Sheriff's Department.
Detectives say there have been no signs of foul play but no signs to suggest that Spira became missing voluntarily. Spira's truck, with his laptop still in it, was parked behind his place of business at the time that he was reported missing.
Police say they can use some help. The case is still open but they need some tips to generate further investigation.
local, john garcia
- Woman assaulted near Matteson Metra stop, bike path
- Chicago doctor among 3 killed in Afghanistan 56 min ago
- Driver taking photos after Noble Square crash struck, killed 51 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Ind. man allegedly took assault weapon on NJ-Chicago flight
- South Side fire latest in suspicious string 49 min ago
- Mom of 3 fatally shot hours after Gary hospital altercation
- Emanuel: CPS graduation rate on-track to reach 82 percent in 2014
- Unconscious man found near Metra-Union Pacific tracks in Glencoe
- Wyoming explosion prompts evacuation of Opal, town of 95
- Blackhawks beat Blues in OT with Patrick Kane goal
- Man charged after car chase, Roseland bus stop crash
- Russell Wilson divorce from wife Ashton Russell announced
- AAPL shareholders to see Apple stock split
- ABC7 to Go
54 min ago
- Chicago doctor among 3 killed in Afghanistan
23 min ago
- Driver taking photos after Noble Square...
52 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos