Four generations, one birthday
March 8, 2010 (HARVARD, Ill.) (WLS) -- March 5 is a very special day for the Horn family of far northwest suburban Harvard. Logan Ronald Horn was on March 5, and that makes him the fourth generation of that family to be born on the same day.
Logan Ronald Horn is a handsome baby boy born early in the afternoon on March 5. While that's not unusual in itself, the fact that three other family members share the exact same birthday is pretty unique.
"My sister, a year younger than me, she was born on March 5. And my mom was born on March 5. And my great grandmother, Josephine, who is passed, is also born on March 5," said Cesily Mason, Logan's mother.
Logan's great, great grandmother Josephine was born March 5 in 1901 and passed away in 1981. The next two family members with a March 5th birthday are Grandma Jean and Aunt Samantha.
"To go down to Cesily then having her due date close, I was kind of hoping, I prayed and was wanting my birthday wish to come true and I certainly did get it," said Jean Bennefield, Logan's grandmother.
"We have always celebrate our birthdays together and I knew about my great grandmother and then I guess having the baby on my birthday too is unreal," said Samantha Mason, Logan's aunt.
Logan was delivered by emergency C-section but is 100 percent healthy.
How unusual is it to have four family members having the exact same birthday? For that ABC7 decided to head to the mathematics department at Harper College to talk to an Associate Professor David Clydesdale who figured the odds based on 30 family members.
"The computation is not very hard, it's 30 times 29 times 28 times 27 divided by 4 times 3 times 2 times 1," said David Clydesdale, Harper College math professor.
After completing the calculations, Professor Clydesdale came up with a large but not astronomical number.
"It's 1 in 11,977," said Clydesdale.
So while unusual, it's not as uncommon as you might think. Still for Logan and his entire family, March 5 will always be a very special day.
local, phil schwarz
- Gunman dead, officer shot in Arlington Heights standoff
- Rod Blagojevich appeal, likely last chance, goes before judges
- Man, 31, pulled from Chicago River near lake
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Body of missing Lansing man, 40, found in ditch
- 8 LSD crashes reported within 1 mile in 1 hour 43 min ago
- Winter weather advisories issued as snow follows cold
- Ex-teacher Amber Kraus pleads not guilty to teen sex assault 37 min ago
- Prisoner charged in 1988 Rogers Park rape, murder
- CTA auctioning seats, signs, rail car, more
- Chicago man gets 50 years in ex-wife's death
- Kanye West likens job to police work; Ohio chief disagrees
- Affluenza defense nets Ethan Couch probation
- abcnews: More Teens Sought in Mansion Party
- 7 in :77