Doc details Maggie Daley's cancer
May 7, 2010 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Chicago's first lady, Maggie Daley, has been in remission for cancer in her lung and liver for some time, a Daley spokeswoman said.
On Thursday, a doctor released more details about Maggie Daley's metastatic breast cancer, which has spread to a bone in her leg, a lung and liver. Apparently, Mrs. Daley has been undergoing treatment for all of those spots for some time, but her doctor didn't address the lung and liver until now, according to the mayor's spokeswoman.
Metastatic cancer is when cancer cells break away from a primary tumor, enter the bloodstream or lymphatic system and spread to other parts of the body. Common areas for breast cancer to spread are bones, lungs, liver and brain.
Thursday, Mrs. Daley attended a ceremony at the John Hancock Center plaza, where a tulip was named in her honor. She sat for most of that ceremony and was using crutches when she walked.
Mrs. Daley has remained consistently upbeat in public about her condition. She was no different Thursday, saying that she will look forward to seeing the tulip bloom every spring.
However, Maggie Daley has been fighting since 2002 when her breast cancer was first diagnosed. She has gone through a number of cancer treatments, and in December 2009, she began treatment for a tumor in her leg. In March of this year, doctors placed a titanium rod in her right leg to help support the bones.
Mayor Daley was in the ABC7 studio Friday morning discussing the gun turn-in program scheduled for the weekend. He did not talk about Mrs. Daley's cancer. But off camera, he did mention the Thursday event that he attended with his wife and seemed proud of her. With a big smile on his face, he said how pretty that tulip is that was named after her.
maggie daley, local
- Chicago celebrates St. Patrick's Day 2014 3 min ago
- Murder charges in crash that killed officer 11 min ago
- Photos: Comedian David Brenner throughout the years PHOTOS
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Big Wheel Race in West Dundee 20 min ago
- Man falls to ramp leading to Chicago River
- Oprah sells Harpo Studios complex in West Loop
- Body found in Indiana ID'd as missing woman Cathryn McGill
- Chicago archdiocese to release more abuse files
- Chicago targets in terrorist crosshairs, new al Qaeda magazine...
- Former inmate lawsuit alleges excessive force
- 2 arrested in Robbins burglary at site of triple murder
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate 22 min ago
- abcnews: Missing plane a 'deliberate act,' Malaysia...
- St. Patrick's Day celebrations continue
15 min ago
- Grab a pint or legendary pizza in Beverly
10 min ago
- Big Wheel Race in West Dundee
20 min ago