Wirtz family hosts special Hawks celebration
June 11, 2010 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Blackhawks players and owner Rocky Wirtz's family gathered for another party after the public celebration Friday.
One block east of the rally was the site of the next setting of Blackhawks palooza, as a massive gathering for team owner Rocky Wirtz's friends and employees got under way.
Charged by the electricity of the guest of honor, the celebration was nearly too much for the Wirtz family matriarch, Alice Wirtz. Such goodwill was on display Friday for the team her husband was accused of mismanaging.
"We wanted it more than anything in life. He loved the fans," she said. "He's looking down, and he's happy."
The sleep-deprived Stanley Cup champions emerged with looks of bemusement and tried to take it all in.
When asked what his father would say about all the Hawks' victory and celebration, Brian Campbell said, "Amazing."
The party's host and the boss had to fend off well-wishers as he explained exclusively to ABC7 his motivation for offering up a big thank you.
"This shows how much they connected over the young team and the organization, and the fans came out and realize this team is special," Rocky Wirtz said.
local, ravi baichwal
- Officer, man shot in Arlington Heights standoff
- Brutal cold grips continues; more snow coming
- Mother charged in death of 7-month-old baby
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Man charged after boy allegedly brings gun to Elgin school
- Gun violence victims remembered at Roseland vigil
- Block 37 developers indicted on federal fraud charges
- Mariano's holds job fairs this week in city, suburbs
- Our Lady of Guadalupe celebration wraps up in Des Plaines
- Feds crack down on unsafe buses
- No retrial for alleged CPD torture victim Wrice
- Rally held to support CTA program that helps ex-convicts
- Mom charged after YouTube postings of alphabet lesson
- abcnews: More Teens Sought in Mansion Party