Naperville soldier killed in Afghanistan
June 20, 2010 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A west suburban family spent Father's Day mourning the loss of a dad killed in combat overseas.
The armored tank Private First Class Gunnar Hotchkin was riding in struck a roadside bomb and flipped over Wednesday.
The Naperville native was a graduate of Hinsdale Central high school. Last year, the father of three joined the Army.
He was deployed in December.
Hotchkin was based at Fort Bragg, but his wife, Erin, and their children were in the Chicago area visiting relatives when they got the news.
Erin Hotchkin says she told her children that their father was a hero.
"You always knew and felt his presence when he was in the room. He just always lifted your spirits, and you know, brought so much happiness to your life. And we were very, very lucky to have him," she said.
Hotchkin's funeral will be Friday in Hinsdale. He will be buried at Abraham Lincoln National Cemetery in Elwood.
- Mom allegedly kidnaps 2 sons from Beverly 40 min ago
- Truck driver released after boy dies in Ind. hit-and-run 3 min ago
- South Korea ferry sinks; 287 missing, at least 9 dead
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Waukegan couple's spat yields 16-officer response, 2 hurt
- Man stabbed in back on McKinley Park street
- Blackhawks set for playoffs Thursday with STL Blues Game 1
- Bulls 1st round playoff schedule vs Wizards released
- 2 kids who died with dad in I-65 crash ID'd 56 min ago
- I-Team: New defendant added in 'El Chapo' case
- Portland shootout injures officer, kills police dog
- Beltran-Leyva gang leader arrested, Mexico says 34 min ago
- Growing Problem: Stolen Smart Phones
- abcnews: Experts: Pistorius May Have Stumbled on Stand
- 7 in :77
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos