Daley attends rally against violence
June 26, 2010 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- The full impact of gun violence on Chicago Public Schools students during the past school year is still becoming apparent.
From the first day of class in September 2009 to the last day of class on June 18, 245 CPS students were shot.
27 died from their wounds. Three other students were killed by other means.
Mayor Daley took part Saturday in a CAPS rally at New Life Covenant Church at E. 79th and S. Greenwood Ave.
At the "Prayer Vigil Against Violence," Daley stressed the importance of community involvement and ensuring that children get involved in positive activities over the summer.
- Teen dead after car chase and shooting
- Ashland bridge moved to new location on Western Avenue
- South Korea ferry captain, 2 crew members arrested
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- 1 dead, 4 hurt in crash on transition ramp on freeway
- I-Team: Kevin Trudeau, an unlikely pauper
- Woman dies after being rescued from Lake Michigan
- Chicago woman wins $14M verdict in Yasmin case
- CTA Orange Line track work underway this weekend
- Boy who drowned in Crystal Lake pond ID'd
- CPD bike patrols to swarm high-crime areas
- Man charged in CTA Yellow Line attack on senior citizen
- Photos: Iran killer spared just before hanging
- abcnews: Twins Attack Carjacker With Fists, Toy Snake