Daley attends rally against violence
June 26, 2010 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- The full impact of gun violence on Chicago Public Schools students during the past school year is still becoming apparent.
From the first day of class in September 2009 to the last day of class on June 18, 245 CPS students were shot.
27 died from their wounds. Three other students were killed by other means.
Mayor Daley took part Saturday in a CAPS rally at New Life Covenant Church at E. 79th and S. Greenwood Ave.
At the "Prayer Vigil Against Violence," Daley stressed the importance of community involvement and ensuring that children get involved in positive activities over the summer.
- Freezing rain, snow spreads across NW suburbs
- Boy, 11, killed after carjacker crashes into SUV
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Off-duty sheriff's officer dies in Bellwood shooting
- Flossmoor boy, 15, charged with murdering older brother
- Albany Park youth orchestra broadens students' horizons
- 400 tuba players perform at Palmer House Hilton
- Families of murdered children gather at St. Sabina
- Holiday posada offers health insurance help in Pilsen
- Funeral held for teacher killed in Indiana roadside crash
- Bruce Rauner wins Cook County GOP endorsement
- hAPPy Holidays from ABC7 Chicago
- abcnews: 4 Arrested in Deadly NJ Mall Carjacking