Draft jury instructions set in Blago trial
July 23, 2010 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Lawyers on both sides battled over jury instructions Friday in the corruption trial of former Governor Rod Blagojevich.
The defense attorneys and prosecution both lobbied the judge on what they'd like him to tell the jury.
The draft instructions are more than 120 pages long. It constitutes the legal roadmap the jurors must follow when they begin their deliberations.
As roadmaps go, this is not a straight-line superhighway. It is more like a winding back road that might not entirely show up on your GPS device.
When the jury gets its instructions, more than 90 of them that lawyers agreed to this afternoon, the jurors will use them to figure out what constitutes a conspiracy, what is racketeering, and whether the government proved these things beyond a reasonable doubt.
The jury's interpretation of intent is probably most important.
If they believe that the former governor really did intend to trade the Senate seat for personal benefit and did something to make that happen, he could be found guilty, even though a trade never occurred.
That possibility is why the defense team has been strenuously arguing that the former governor was venting or brainstorming, and never intended to break the law.
Closing arguments are set for Monday. On Tuesday, the judge will read the jurors their instructions.
They will get hard copies as well, which is a good thing because some of the language is enough to make even a lawyer's eyes glaze over.
There will be some sort of instructions to the jury regarding Rod Blagojevich's decision not to testify in his own defense.
The defendant has a right not to testify, and that should not be held against him. That is a standard instruction, but in this case, even the judge said he is a little bit leery of the situation because of the public pledges beforehand and Rod Blagojevich's attorney saying he would testify, which did not happen.
rod blagojevich, local, paul meincke
- Bitter cold expected to last through weekend 51 min ago
- Nelson Mandela condolence books open, tribute held
- ABC 7 Special: Monday Night Monsters
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 24 min ago
- Northern Illinois Huskies fall to Bowling Green 47-27
- Schaumburg woman missing since October found
- Vigil held for Khaseem Greene's cousin killed in NJ
- Blackhawks championship ring offered in raffle
- Family: Boy, 6, suffers post-traumatic stress after shooting
- Girl, 13, charged in Olympia Fields fatal crash that killed boy
- Barrington leader trying to prevent next tanker tragedy
- 'Heart and Soul' - Saturday, Dec. 7, 6 p.m.
- Photos: Christmas Tree Ship arrives at Navy Pier
- abcnews: Made in America 2013: Gift Ideas
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
24 min ago
- Weekender Saturday Edition 12-7-13
37 min ago
- Let's Dish: Chocolate Crepes
20 min ago
- Bitter cold expected to last through weekend
51 min ago
Highlights from Blagojevich Trial
- Blagojevich Trial: About the Jurors
- Witness: Blago wanted cash for state funds
- Blago Tapes: Winfrey a 'kingmaker'
- Blago tapes: 'I'm stuck in this f---ing job'
- FBI tapes: Blagojevich calls Obama 'all take, no give'
- Blago jurors hear 'f---ing golden' tape
- Aide: Blago said he made Obama seat deal
- Opening statements heard in Blago trial
- Blago judge: Opening statements start Tuesday