Obama to spend birthday in Hyde Park home
August 3, 2010 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- President Barack Obama is coming home to celebrate his 49th birthday.
President Obama will be in Chicago on his birthday-- August 4. The White House said he is looking forward to spending the night in his family's home in Hyde Park on the city's' South Side and gathering with friends.
Obama has spoken about the upcoming birthday, saying that his hair is getting gray and his metabolism is slowing down.
The first family will not be with the president. First lady Michelle Obama is taking their youngest daughter, Sasha, to Spain this week and their other daughter, Malia, is away at camp. White House press secretary Robert Gibbs demurred when asked if it was a source of Obama family tension that the president was celebrating his birthday without them.
"They'll all be back together soon," the press secretary said diplomatically.
While in town, Obama will attend fundraisers for the Democratic party and visit a Chicago auto plant.
Last week first lady Michelle Obama asked supporters to sign an electronic birthday card for the president at http://my.barackobama.com/birthday
Last year, President Obama celebrated his 48th birthday by presenting a cake to White House reporter Helen Thomas, who shares the same birthday.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
barack obama, local
- Cardinal George: 'I expect to get through this'
- Search resumes Sunday for Malaysian jet
- Attempted abduction prompts community alert
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Child starts fire at Batavia apartment
- Mt. Prospect banquet hall closes suddenly
- Chase bank robbed on Northwest Side
- Cubs single-game tickets on sale
- 'Project Youth' provides lessons on teen pregnancy, more
- Bombing comment no threat to parade, police say
- Bill would ban SeaWorld orca shows in California
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea, Ukraine
- Dance marathon for Lurie Children's Hospital
- abcnews: Teens Help Save Man Stuck in Sewer