Obama to spend birthday in Hyde Park home
August 3, 2010 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- President Barack Obama is coming home to celebrate his 49th birthday.
President Obama will be in Chicago on his birthday-- August 4. The White House said he is looking forward to spending the night in his family's home in Hyde Park on the city's' South Side and gathering with friends.
Obama has spoken about the upcoming birthday, saying that his hair is getting gray and his metabolism is slowing down.
The first family will not be with the president. First lady Michelle Obama is taking their youngest daughter, Sasha, to Spain this week and their other daughter, Malia, is away at camp. White House press secretary Robert Gibbs demurred when asked if it was a source of Obama family tension that the president was celebrating his birthday without them.
"They'll all be back together soon," the press secretary said diplomatically.
While in town, Obama will attend fundraisers for the Democratic party and visit a Chicago auto plant.
Last week first lady Michelle Obama asked supporters to sign an electronic birthday card for the president at http://my.barackobama.com/birthday
Last year, President Obama celebrated his 48th birthday by presenting a cake to White House reporter Helen Thomas, who shares the same birthday.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
barack obama, local
- Snow blankets city, suburbs 8 min ago
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010 murder
- I-Team: Illinois state spy secret revealed
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 12 min ago
- Man charged with shooting Chicago officer
- $2M bond for man accused of shooting 6 at party
- SUV with child stolen in Colorado, I-25 chase 59 min ago
- Bears terminate Julius Peppers contract 54 min ago
- Son goes on trial in man's beating, stabbing death
- 3 people shot in car at 76th, Stony Island
- Retired CPD sergeant hospitalized after East Side shooting
- MH370, missing Malaysia Airlines plane, gone 4 days
- San Francisco fire at Mission Bay construction site contained
- Man writes own, hilarious obituary