Ex-boyfriend testifies in toddler murder trial
August 5, 2010 (CROWN POINT, Ind.) (WLS) -- A 25-year-old Hobart man testified Thursday that he and his then-girlfriend beat 2-year-old Jada Justice to death more than a year ago.
The ex-boyfriend took the stand in the trial of Engelica Castillo, accused of murdering her little cousin.
The trial began Wednesday in Crown Point, Ind. Jurors first heard from Jada's mother, who said she left the baby with Castillo for two weeks and was suspicious of Castillo's boyfriend, Timothy Tkachik.
Last summer, police, relatives and residents searched for a missing 2-year-old girl for days. Jada was reported missing by Castillo. After the girl's body was found, Castillo and her boyfriend were charged with the murder. Tkachik entered into a plea bargain in which he agreed to testify against his girlfriend.
On Thursday, Tkachik described how he and Castillo used heroin, beat the child and when they discovered the 2-year-old was dead, they plotted ways to dispose of the body, which included two trips to the store to get supplies, including a container, cement and rope. He testified that he held the child's stiff, dead body as Castillo mixed cement in a round container. Tkachik said the couple did drugs throughout the ordeal and when the cement hardened around the girl, they dumped the container in a swamp, first trying to remove their fingerprints. Then he testified Castillo came up with the idea to report a false abduction from a gas station.
Under cross-examination, Tkachik testified that he agreed to a plea bargain to get a lesser sentence.
The state is planning on several more witnesses including FBI and local police officers who collected evidence and found Jada's body. The prosecution expects to rest at the beginning of next week.
The defense say they will call several witnesses. At this point, Castillo has not decided whether or not to testify in her own defense.
The Sun-Times Media Wire contributed to this report.
local, leah hope
- Brutal cold grips Chicago, suburbs 5 min ago
- Mother charged in death of 7-month-old baby 49 min ago
- Video: I-Team Thursday at 10
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 35 min ago
- Boy, 7, allegedly brings loaded gun to Elgin school 46 min ago
- Block 37 developer indicted on federal fraud charges 9 min ago
- Mariano's holds job fairs this week in city, suburbs 57 min ago
- No retrial for alleged CPD torture victim Wrice 16 min ago
- Rally held to support CTA program that helps ex-convicts 26 min ago
- Metra Rock Island train hits car on South Side
- Mom charged after YouTube postings of alphabet lesson
- Man shot to death in Logan Square
- Coyote attacks on small dogs reported in Wheaton
- abcnews: 911 calls in Jameis Winston case
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
35 min ago
- Boy, 7, allegedly brings loaded gun to...
46 min ago
- Brutal cold grips Chicago, suburbs
5 min ago
- No retrial for alleged CPD torture victim...
16 min ago