1 child dead, 1 injured in Far South Side shooting
August 10, 2010 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Police say two girls shot in the Roseland neighborhood Tuesday night may have been hit by stray bullets.
The victims, ages 7 and 9, were shot near Indiana Avenue and 107th street around eight o'clock. The 9-year-old died at Christ Hospital. The other child suffered a graze wound. The two girls are related, according to authorities.
Police said the girls were caught in the crossfire. Two young men were on bikes in the area when one of them fired a gun several times. It is unclear what provoked the man but some neighbors said an argument that started with a group of people escalated into gunfire.
The family reacted to the tragedy at the hospital.
"She was a nice little kid, just a kid, an innocent kid," said Larry Harris, grandfather of the deceased girl.
"We talk about wars [in] other places. What about here? It's beem a war in Chicago ever since I been here. I'm 75...years old. What is the problem?" said Theodore Willis, great-grandfather.
Police say there are getting some help from witnesses but they encourage anyone with information to come forward.
"What I think this underscores is our absolute need to be committed in partnership with the community, citizens and everyone in Chicago. Essentially what we need to do is turn this anger into mobilized activity where we start to say something. If you see something, say something. Silence does kill. And in this particular case we need all the help we can get to get these individuals with guns off the street," said Deputy Supt. Ernest Brown, Bureau of Patrol.
No one is in custody.
local, karen jordan
- Bitter cold expected to last through the weekend
- Nelson Mandela condolence books open, tribute held
- ABC 7 Special: Monday Night Monsters
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Northern Illinois Huskies fall to Bowling Green 47-27
- Schaumburg woman missing since October found
- Vigil held for Khaseem Greene's cousin killed in NJ
- Blackhawks championship ring offered in raffle
- Family: Boy, 6, suffers post-traumatic stress after shooting
- Girl, 13, charged in Olympia Fields fatal crash that killed boy
- Barrington leader trying to prevent next tanker tragedy
- 'Heart and Soul' - Saturday, Dec. 7, 6 p.m.
- Photos: Christmas Tree Ship arrives at Navy Pier
- abcnews: Made in America 2013: Gift Ideas