1 child dead, 1 injured in Far South Side shooting
August 10, 2010 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Police say two girls shot in the Roseland neighborhood Tuesday night may have been hit by stray bullets.
The victims, ages 7 and 9, were shot near Indiana Avenue and 107th street around eight o'clock. The 9-year-old died at Christ Hospital. The other child suffered a graze wound. The two girls are related, according to authorities.
Police said the girls were caught in the crossfire. Two young men were on bikes in the area when one of them fired a gun several times. It is unclear what provoked the man but some neighbors said an argument that started with a group of people escalated into gunfire.
The family reacted to the tragedy at the hospital.
"She was a nice little kid, just a kid, an innocent kid," said Larry Harris, grandfather of the deceased girl.
"We talk about wars [in] other places. What about here? It's beem a war in Chicago ever since I been here. I'm 75...years old. What is the problem?" said Theodore Willis, great-grandfather.
Police say there are getting some help from witnesses but they encourage anyone with information to come forward.
"What I think this underscores is our absolute need to be committed in partnership with the community, citizens and everyone in Chicago. Essentially what we need to do is turn this anger into mobilized activity where we start to say something. If you see something, say something. Silence does kill. And in this particular case we need all the help we can get to get these individuals with guns off the street," said Deputy Supt. Ernest Brown, Bureau of Patrol.
No one is in custody.
local, karen jordan
- Yik Yak disabled in Chicago amid bullying concerns
- Elderly woman dead after fire in Woodstock 35 min ago
- Campaign to curb military sex assaults continues 34 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Superintendent reprimanded after DUI arrest 15 min ago
- Body found near home of woman missing 2 years
- Man falls from Wisconsin Dells roller coaster
- 'Shady Bandit' suspected in North Side bank robbery
- Chicago Tribune endorses Bruce Rauner in GOP primary
- College student found dead on Bannockburn campus
- Naperville man attempting to run 56 miles in 56 hours
- Kustok's daughter not called to stand as defense begins
- Elmhurst Armpit Orchestra in St. Patrick's Day parade
- abcnews: Family Takes on Critics After Lung Transplant
- Campaign to curb military sex assaults...
34 min ago