Hobart woman found guilty in toddler's murder
August 12, 2010 (CROWN POINT, Ind.) (WLS) -- A jury has found a 20-year-old Hobart, Ind., woman guilty in the murder of a 2-year-old she was baby-sitting last year.Engelica Castillo was convicted of murder, two counts of neglect of a dependent, battery and false informing in connection with the death of Jada Justice, a Lake County prosecutor announced Thursday. Castillo was convicted after a Lake Superior Court jury deliberated about two hours.
On Friday, the jury will hear arguments as to whether Castillo should be sentenced to life in prison without parole.
Castillo was babysitting the toddler when prosecutors say she beat the child then dumped her body in a swamp.
Castillo's then-boyfriend, Timothy Tkachik, was also watching the child. He pleaded guilty to a neglect charge in June and testified against Castillo. Tkachik faces a maximum term of 50 years in prison when he is sentenced September 10.
- Oil slicks found in hunt for missing Malaysia jet
- Man, 29, dead after ejected from SUV on I-57 37 min ago
- HS basketball player shines despite disabilty
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Chase bank robbed on Northwest Side
- Bombing comment no threat to parade, police say
- Snowboard park accident 911 calls released
- Volunteers get word out on insurance sign-up 43 min ago
- Bridge over Western demolished for Bloomingdale Trail
- Broadened Chicago ban on plastic bags gaining steam
- More goats found dead in Ill. animal cruelty case
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea, Ukraine
- Dance marathon for Lurie Children's Hospital 30 min ago
- abcnews: Jennifer Lawrence's Oscars Date Tells All
- Man, 29, dead after ejected from SUV on I-57
37 min ago