Hobart woman found guilty in toddler's murder
August 12, 2010 (CROWN POINT, Ind.) (WLS) -- A jury has found a 20-year-old Hobart, Ind., woman guilty in the murder of a 2-year-old she was baby-sitting last year.Engelica Castillo was convicted of murder, two counts of neglect of a dependent, battery and false informing in connection with the death of Jada Justice, a Lake County prosecutor announced Thursday. Castillo was convicted after a Lake Superior Court jury deliberated about two hours.
On Friday, the jury will hear arguments as to whether Castillo should be sentenced to life in prison without parole.
Castillo was babysitting the toddler when prosecutors say she beat the child then dumped her body in a swamp.
Castillo's then-boyfriend, Timothy Tkachik, was also watching the child. He pleaded guilty to a neglect charge in June and testified against Castillo. Tkachik faces a maximum term of 50 years in prison when he is sentenced September 10.
- CTA: Red Line delays persist, train service restored 63rd to 95th 27 min ago
- Freezing rain reported around Wis. border
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Report: Centrella could buy some Dominick's stores
- Rogers Park stabbing leaves woman, 21, blind; man charged
- More Chicago speed cameras to issue real tickets
- 4M passengers expected at Chicago's airports during holidays
- Man charged with fatal shooting of 12-year-old in 2012
- Cousin of Mass. gov, from Rockford, among 8 getting commutations
- Pastor defrocked after officiating son's gay marriage
- London Apollo Theatre collapse injures 79
- Photos: Target Credit Card Breach: What to do if...
- abcnews: Reddit Secret Santa User is Bill Gates
- 7 in :77
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos