City clerk joins Whittier school protest
September 27, 2010 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Monday marked day 13 of a sit-in by parents who are trying to bring a library to Whittier school in Pilsen.
Chicago City Clerk and mayoral candidate Miguel del Valle joined parents and their backers to show his support Monday.
The parents have been sitting in as a show of civil disobedience. They are opposed to the demolition of the school's field house.
Del Valle promised to take action to resolve the issue.
"Until we strengthen our neighborhood schools, we're not going to see the kind of quality educational opportunities that every child in the system needs and certainly every child in the system deserves, and every child in the system has a right to receive," said del Valle.
Chicago Public Schools officials say the building is structurally unsound and needs to be torn down.
- Falling ice smashes car windshield in West Loop 3 min ago
- Teenager sexually assaulted in Logan Square
- Potholes prompt revamped street paving plan
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Wrong-way driver collides with semi on Skyway
- Photos: SXSW accident in downtown Austin
- Quinn makes 1st public event since controversial audit 10 min ago
- Woman pulled from the river in the Loop
- Public transit is good for your health, study finds
- Girl, 3, ID'd after fatal Rogers Park mattress fire
- Tinley Park HS teacher resigns after sex assault charges
- Chicago River to be dyed green Saturday morning
- abcnews: Gov. Chris Christie Fires Back at Heckler
- Man shot to death in Hammond
- MS Awareness Month events in Chicago area
19 min ago
- Quinn makes 1st public event since...
10 min ago