City clerk joins Whittier school protest
September 27, 2010 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Monday marked day 13 of a sit-in by parents who are trying to bring a library to Whittier school in Pilsen.
Chicago City Clerk and mayoral candidate Miguel del Valle joined parents and their backers to show his support Monday.
The parents have been sitting in as a show of civil disobedience. They are opposed to the demolition of the school's field house.
Del Valle promised to take action to resolve the issue.
"Until we strengthen our neighborhood schools, we're not going to see the kind of quality educational opportunities that every child in the system needs and certainly every child in the system deserves, and every child in the system has a right to receive," said del Valle.
Chicago Public Schools officials say the building is structurally unsound and needs to be torn down.
- Fans subdued after Blackhawks lose Game 3 48 min ago
- Mysterious substance closes Indiana beaches 35 min ago
- Danny Green, Manu Ginobili lead Spurs to Game 5 win over Heat
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Bruins beat Hawks 2-0, take series lead 2-1 39 min ago
- Mother convicted of killing son exonerated
- Man tried to sexually assault girl, 14, at gunpoint: Police 45 min ago
- Bill Daley proposes plan to end pension deadlock
- Chicago violence kills 8; 46 shot over weekend
- Ex-Chicago Ald. Medrano convicted in bribery case
- Cops: Man crawled through window, abused girl
- Evanston man accused of stealing, selling, re-stealing car
- Chief Keef pleads guilty to speeding, faces 2nd paternity suit
- abcnews: NSA Leaker Alleges US Spied on Allies
- Fans subdued after Blackhawks lose Game 3
48 min ago
- Mysterious substance closes Indiana beaches
35 min ago