City clerk joins Whittier school protest
September 27, 2010 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Monday marked day 13 of a sit-in by parents who are trying to bring a library to Whittier school in Pilsen.
Chicago City Clerk and mayoral candidate Miguel del Valle joined parents and their backers to show his support Monday.
The parents have been sitting in as a show of civil disobedience. They are opposed to the demolition of the school's field house.
Del Valle promised to take action to resolve the issue.
"Until we strengthen our neighborhood schools, we're not going to see the kind of quality educational opportunities that every child in the system needs and certainly every child in the system deserves, and every child in the system has a right to receive," said del Valle.
Chicago Public Schools officials say the building is structurally unsound and needs to be torn down.
- Fire destroys Gary church, vacant building 3 min ago
- Fast-food workers protest low wages
- Video: Ditka Talks: Thursday @ 10 PM
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Coyote struck running through I-55 traffic 6 min ago
- Woman, 23, missing from Lincoln Square
- CTA Blue Line to receive $492M investment
- 2 men charged with felony mail theft 19 min ago
- Mayor to create grocery store task force
- 2 men arrested on drug charges
- Chicago Bears visit Washington IL as tornado communities brace...
- 2015 Ford Mustang unveiling celebrates 50 years 43 min ago
- abcnews: Meet Wonder Woman: Gal Gadot
- 7 in :77
- Fire destroys Gary church, vacant building
3 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos